PDA

View Full Version : 44 mag heavies

boomboy
04-25-2010, 02:16 AM
So I am still new to casting but am ready to move up from my lee molds. Also I want a heavy bullet with a bigger meplat for my blackhawk.
I was looking at the Mp molds 44 mag/444 Marlin 295gr to 305gr cramer style
Being able to cast hp or fn really appeled to me.
I guess my question is
1. Are there any other molds compariable to the Mp?
2. Any one used these, comments?
3. Where can I find a set, his e-shop sayhs out of stock and shipping to commiefornia would probably be horrible.

Thanks guys
Steve

sagacious
04-25-2010, 03:47 AM
Isn't the LEE C430-310-RF similar in design to the MP mold you're considering? It's not a fp/hp convertible mold, but I thought both had about the same meplat size, both are gc, both have multiple crimp grooves, and both have one large lube groove. The LEE 310 is very accurate from my revolvers and carbine.

Seems also that shipping shouldn't be more than $5-10, unless the mold will not fit into a USPS flat-rate box. But whatever the cost of shipping is, it's of very little consequence, as you'll be producing your cast bullets almost free of cost. Good luck.

Matt_G
04-25-2010, 09:18 AM
1. Are there any other molds compariable to the Mp?
I don't know of anyone else making two cavity cramer style moulds made out of brass with reversible pins.

2. Any one used these, comments?
I have Miha's H&G 503 two cavity cramer style for 44's. It's probably the finest made mould I have ever had the pleasure of casting with. This style is so easy to cast with. I can cast HP's dang near as fast as I can cast non HP's out of any other DC mould I own. I'm on the list for three more moulds from Miha so that is a good indication of what I think of his work.

3. Where can I find a set, his e-shop sayhs out of stock and shipping to commiefornia would probably be horrible.
Shipping to the US for one of Miha's moulds is $15.00. Not bad considering it's coming from Europe. That being said, you could e-mail him and ask what it would take for him to do a re-run of that mould. He does have the cherry now after all.
You could also post in the Wanted to buy section here, though I doubt anyone would want to sell their mould. They may send you some boolits to try though. Then you could find out if it will work for you in your application. I'd send you some but I don't have that mould.
Good luck and welcome to the forum! :drinks:

Freightman
04-25-2010, 09:20 AM
Graff and Sons have a six cavity LEE C430-310-RF for $38.95 and about $5 shipping and handling. Then you can get some real production. I have the two cavity mould and love it for my Vetterli .41 Swiss.

fredj338
04-25-2010, 01:00 PM
The Lee 310grgc is a great heavy for the 44mag. Very accurate. If you want a HP, the Mihec or a cramer conv by Erik would be the way to go. I woud look at the RCBS 300grSWC, have one cav done as a cramer, then you have two diff bullet styles. The other way to go would be a conventional HP pin w/ a blank pin. Then you can cast HP or solids in the 2cav mold.

boomboy
04-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Wow, thanks guys for the quick response! I may try the lee out for now but would still like tho have the option of hp or fn.

Matt g Good idea I'll post in wtb haven't yet cuse I figured that no one would want to give up there molds. But maybe a few boolits would be a good start.

Thanks agsin
Steve