PDA

View Full Version : 50/50 Beeswax & Liquid Alox pistol lube?

littlejack
04-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Has anyone tried mixing 50% beeswax and 50% Liquid Alox to make a decent handgun lube? If so what was the results?
Jack

fredj338
04-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Sounds like the old NRA lube. Still sold today by several manuf including WHiteLabel.
http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/index.html

wiljen
04-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Not quite fred Liquid alox is not the same product used in NRA lube.

NRA Lube was made with Alox 2138f and later Alox 350

Lee Liquid Alox is a solvent cutback of Alox 606.

While it is possible and we have several people making a mix of Johnson's paste wax and LLA, I dont see any advantage to adding beeswax vs using LLA straight for a decent handgun lube.

I'm a fan of just using LLA for handguns and have never had a problem with that. We did a group buy for LLA a few years back in which I had 70 gallons of it pass through my possession.

littlejack
04-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the replies.
I was beginning to think that some folks thought this was a trick question. It was not.
I was not sure if the LLA WAS in fact the same as the Alox used in the 50/50 mix.
After the first couple of mixes, It is plain to see , that it is not the same product.
I have used a lot of the commercial 50/50 mix and it does well for my loads.
I have been expierimenting this afternoon with the bw and the Lla. Mixing a small batch.
So far, I have tried:
First mix, 50/50. 1.5 oz to 1.5 oz. Too soft and sticky.
Second mix, 2.0 oz bw to 1.5 oz LLA. Still too soft and sticky
Third mix, 3.0 oz bw to 1.5 oz LLA. Waiting to cool.
The reason? I am trying to get smokeless lube that is easy to make, not messy, needs no heat to use, and will stay put on the bullets.
I do not like the LLa, as it is very messy in my opinion, and I DO size all of my bullets.
Jack

DLCTEX
04-25-2010, 06:54 PM
$10.50 for 32 ounces is the best deal around. Get it from Lar45 at the bottom of the page.

Shiloh
04-25-2010, 09:32 PM
You've just describes the original NRA formula.

Shiloh

littlejack
04-26-2010, 01:15 AM
OK, I let the 3.0 oz bw and 1.5 oz lla cool and it feels about right. Maybe a little soft. I didn't
want to go any heavier with the amount of bw as a carrier, that would lessen the llas' ability to do its job at lubricating. I will give it a try and see how it works.
Shiloh, which percentage are you referring to, to be the NRA formula?
Jack

wiljen
04-26-2010, 04:08 PM
NRA lube is 50% Alox 2138f and 50% Beeswax. It was later modified when 2138f was discontinued to be 46% Alox 350, 4% Microcyrstalline Wax, and 50% beeswax as this best approximated Alox 2138F. Many have used 50% Alox 350 and it works fine, just makes a bit softer lube than if adding the micro wax.

skeettx
04-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Hello All
Back in the old days, I used beeswax and Marfak (a Texico gear grease) to great effect

http://www.hwpetro.com/_fileCabinet/TexacoData/Marfak-HD3.pdf

Mike

lar45
04-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Alox 350 has the consistency of a light grease and can not be made into Liquid Alox.

I have read many posts of guys useing Liquid Alox in a stick lube. The problem that I would worry about is the mineral spirits in the Liquid Alox evaporating and changing the consistency of your lube over time.

Has anyone used Liquid Alox in a stick lube and noticed any changes in the consistency, or any changes on lubed bullets stored for several months?

I've has some samples of my stick lubes sitting on a paper at my desk for about 4 years now and they are still soft and pliable just like a new batch.

toddrod
10-16-2010, 07:01 AM
I made up some 50/50 using LLA and beeswax and left it out. It diffinitely will dry out. I think I will make more and wrap it in plastic wrap and see what happens.

fecmech
10-16-2010, 11:47 AM
"The reason? I am trying to get smokeless lube that is easy to make, not messy, needs no heat to use, and will stay put on the bullets."

I don't think you are going to get the "smokeless" part with alox.

leftiye
10-19-2010, 01:09 AM
Liquid alox can be dried. Pour a bunch in a cookie pan (cover with tin foil furst), set in the sun, etc.. Has a consistency like crumbly, rubbery wax. Use that 50/50 with beezwax (or maybe microcrystalline wax), and it should be dry enough. You might have to add some bullplate lube to soften it. Like speed green/ alox.

fredj338
10-20-2010, 05:48 PM
I find the 50/50 NRA formula kind of stickie, but I haven't tried WhiteLabel. I prefer a hrader non sticky lube.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Has anyone used Liquid Alox in a stick lube and noticed any changes in the consistency, or any changes on lubed bullets stored for several months?

I've has some samples of my stick lubes sitting on a paper at my desk for about 4 years now and they are still soft and pliable just like a new batch.

On a similar note, I recently bought a bunch of casting tools that haven't been used for many years...maybe as many as 20 years. there is 17 tubes of Tamarack Lube. 50/50 BW/Alox 2138F (as stated on Label). one of the tubes was cracked open and about 1" had oozed out onto the cardboard box...It had the same look and feel as the tubes that were sealed.
Jon