PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Paper Patching for Mosin

mikeh3
04-24-2010, 07:48 PM
I admit I know nothing about paper patching but since I have a Mosin with .3135 lands I think paper patching may be the only hope to get my gun to shot accurately. The only molds I have are 30 cal. with lube groves, which I don't know if these can be used. I do have a bunch of 30 cal. copper jacketed bullets in .308.
Can I use either of these two options?
Thanks

docone31
04-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Cast up the .30cals. Size them to .308. Wrap with notebook paper. I use a cigarette roller.
then the fun part.
Use a little Auto Wax, and find the size.
Since, at that sizeing, Meade traceing paper gives .3135, Then notebook paper gives .317.
Lee makes a sizer that goes .314, however, you might need to open it up.
I would size to .314, try them. Then if I needed, I would open up the sizer.
A way I found to try out the size, was to smear lapping compound on the wrap. I was getting .3135, and I needed .314. At .3135, I was getting 10ft groups at 100yds, so I figuired I would try some lapping and see what happened.
Immediate MOA! That was the ticket for me. After sizeing to the now .314, the casting also grew with time to .3145. Steller performance.
I use full tilt loads. My patching does not work with sneeze loads.

mikeh3
04-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Thank docone31,
The cigarette roller sounds like a great ideal. Where can I get one of those. I was wondering how to wrap the bullets and did want to shoot them at full tilt.
Thanks again

docone31
04-24-2010, 09:04 PM
You can get them at convience stores, head shops, flea markets. All over.
Cut the patch 1 3/8" with 45* cuts on the ends. Wrap the casting soaking wet. When it comes out of the roller, it will be damp. I use a 9mm cartridge box inside. Put the wraps head down till dry.
You will have to play with size, however, I think .314 might be your number. The Mosin takes .312 jacketeds I believe.
Good luck.
Definately try some lapping compound. Makes the bore shiney.
I use start load data for jacketeds of the same weight. I like 4895 or 4064 powder.

mikeh3
04-24-2010, 09:19 PM
You can get them at convience stores, head shops, flea markets. All over.
Cut the patch 1 3/8" with 45* cuts on the ends. Wrap the casting soaking wet. When it comes out of the roller, it will be damp. I use a 9mm cartridge box inside. Put the wraps head down till dry.
You will have to play with size, however, I think .314 might be your number. The Mosin takes .312 jacketeds I believe.
Good luck.
Definately try some lapping compound. Makes the bore shiney.
I use start load data for jacketeds of the same weight. I like 4895 or 4064 powder.

Thanks,
Mike

TDB9901
05-06-2010, 02:13 PM
I've been following these threads for awhile, thinking it would be the thing for my M N model 44 that slugs at .315. I have been having some pretty good luck rolling a few patches on a board, trying different paper for final diameter etc. (no time yet for a good range test, plunked a few downrange just for function)

My question is this........ Is there a trick, or exactly what technique do you guys use to feed the paper and Boolit into the cigarette roller???? I picked a roller up yesterday in town, and have spent all morning trying to figure out how to get one wrapped straight, and maybe got one out of many attempts....

Am I just clumsy?? Give me a clue........

Tom

docone31
05-06-2010, 02:16 PM
You just need experience.
Lay the patch straight out of the roller. Eyeball it. Set the casting on the patch, and roll.
Remember, the patches are soaking wet when you start.
They come out of the roller damp.
If you need .315, then .317 from the patches should give a good load.
Good luck, and keep at it.

303Guy
05-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Yup. It just takes a little practice. One has to let the neurons learn how to control our by now not so nimble fingers. One trick to get going is to practice with dry patches. Once you get the hang of 'laying them straight' and aligning the boolit, it is time to try wet. Wet has the advantage of adhering to the roller 'belt'. One can make final tweaks by pressing down on the roller harder on one side or the other to 'stear' the wrap. It really does become easy quite quickly but remember that the human brain needs a day or two to train the neurons (it did me, anyway.:mrgreen:). Then it gets really easy!

Zeek
05-07-2010, 05:09 PM
. . . . I have a Mosin with .3135 lands . . . .
That would be 0.3135 GROOVE diameter (the top-of-lands diameter is the bore diameter = the diameter to which they bore it before they cut the grooves).

Basic Info: The 7.62 Russian uses a gentle twelve degree included angle (6 degrees per side) transition cone between the throating and the chamberneck. This is great, as it is far more gentle than the usual 90-degree included angle! The all-leade-cone throating is a gentle 1 degree included angle with an enty diameter of between 0.312" and 0.314".

This configuration allows the rifle to chamber slightly oversize diameter PPCBoos without tearing, and the long leade cone allows one to extend the patch out further then usual without running into the need to seat the boolet too deeply in the neck. This should be a good chambering for PPCBoos.
Zeek