PDA

View Full Version : Old Herters Press,, suitable for swaging?

45nut
04-24-2010, 07:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/103_1805.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/103_1806.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/45nut/103_1808.jpg

Had this old Herters press for ages sitting out in the shop,, feels pretty solid but it is not a O press but a C,, would it hold up to swaging use?

blaser.306
04-24-2010, 08:30 PM
I could be wrong , but wasn't herters an originator of swaging?!!!

Sarg
04-24-2010, 10:52 PM
I think that huge cast press will withstand more pressure than you can put out with it.

If it had a really short stroke and put out tons (literally) of pressure then it might be a cause for concern. With that long of a stroke the amount of pressure shouldn't reach the amount that cast frame can withstand.

Sarg

DukeInFlorida
04-25-2010, 12:05 AM
Don't forget that it's sometimes the PIVOT PINS that break. Before you even begin, replace those with grade 8 bolts.

HeavyMetal
04-25-2010, 12:40 AM
My small experience with swaging suggests that you will want to mount that on a very sturdy bench before attempting to swage anything.

I'd fabricate a steel bench and anchor that to a concrete floor with Red Heads!

Replacing the pins another good idea if you can find a close tolerance match, no slop!

Let us know how it works!

Bent Ramrod
04-25-2010, 03:07 AM
My 1970 Herter's catalog claimed the Model 3 was made of S. A. E. Approved semi-alloyed steel and was amply strong for swaging bullets. It would probably work for swaging half-jacket pistol bullets and full-jacket .22's but the simple linkage on the handle and ram is going to make for some hard work.

Just below the illustration of the Model 3 is the Model 3-A, which had a two-position handle for an optional shorter stroke, and a boss on the die holder for a steel strap to link the ends of the "C" press to an "O" configuration. Evidently, these modifications were made to improve the standard Model 3 for swaging bullets. However, I started swaging .22 jacketed bullets in Corbin dies on a Pacific Super press, which was a flanged "C" press like the Herter's Model 3, only a lot less massive, and it worked fine.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-25-2010, 12:44 PM
but the simple linkage on the handle and ram is going to make for some hard work.

even though the simple linkage, you should still be able to swage easily enough if you are using a soft lead core. I did a little swaging with a CH reloading press as shown in the photo, simple linkage. Soft lead no problem, but I tried some with WW Lead core, I couldn't swage them, maybe with an extended cheater handle, but I didn't want to risk breaking anything.
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_0976.jpg
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/100_0970.jpg

Shooter6br
04-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Never swgged bullets but my dads # 3 never fails.

SWANEEDB
04-25-2010, 05:44 PM
I to have a CH press like the one shown, I got longer bolts for the tool head and used washers to get more heigth on the tool head, that way I gained a better brakeing point, I have used it for derimming and it did very well but use it now for core seating the 22 jackets.

3006guns
04-25-2010, 06:09 PM
The press pictured is one of the early Herter's presses. A change was made to the casting near the top, adding a small reinforcing rib as a number of presses actually had their tops snapped off. Investigation revealed that "cheater bars" had been used, but Herter's made the change anyway just to offer a really beefy press. Since your press does not have the rib, just stick to handle pressure only and you should be fine.

Hey, it'll either work..........or it should have!

KCSO
04-25-2010, 07:10 PM
In actual use the leverage is not in the best position for swadging with the herter's press. I had the double barrel one with a complete Herter's swadging set up and you had to really tweak the set up to get the leverage right. Not the best in my opinion.

mikenbarb
04-25-2010, 07:12 PM
I swage .22, .30 and 38's with a Herter's Super 3 with no problems. I have swaged over 7000 bullets with it. They also offered a front stiffner rod to make it a "O" type press. Sometimes you can find them on auctions or make one yourself. Its a tough press!

BT Sniper
04-25-2010, 07:26 PM
It certainly looks strong enough. I know I have had success with much weaker designs. I would agree with all the coments above and would certainly use it myself if it was in my possesion. I would venture a guess that anyone that ever broke a press did so knowingly and could have prevented it had they used it as intended. Ths was the case with me and much smaller press then what you have there. I made a lot of 44 cals on a allunimum RCBS press Befoer I knowingly broke it. It would still be in use today otherwise.

I would say you are good to go. Drop me a line some time I'll get you set up with some good dies. Still working on getting some pics to set up the sight. I'll be in touch.

Swage On!

:swagemine:

BT

kweidner
12-26-2013, 01:49 PM
I have the model 0 dedicated for just derimming. Woudn't want my finger in there. I am positive it would crush it. I use mine in the long stroke and derimming is nothing. The core seating and point forming is done on a dedicated rockchucker with BT's auto eject. Makes some awesome bullets. You neeed adapter for shellholder btw. I was lucky and when i picked up mine it already had it.

Pavogrande
12-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Bill Weddle --
although you did not ask -
adapters are available from rcbs and ch to convert herter to today's button holders -