PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Needs a Rebore...Tips Welcome

Suo Gan
04-24-2010, 07:23 PM
I just bought my umpteenth cheap gun this year. I found this one on the table at the local gun show. Someone apparently shot corrosive ammo in it and pitted the bore, but the price was right. It is a sporterized unit done up by a gunsmithing student. It really is a nice gun, I am sure he spent many hours on the rifle. I would therefore like to save it from the scrapheap. I would like to get it rebored to 35 Russian. If anyone has done this, I would welcome their experience. It seem no local gunsmiths rebore barrels here any longer. If anyone knows of a good one, that works reasonably that would be helpful info for me to have.

I would shoot cast in the rifle exclusively. What are your recommendations on twist and number of grooves for this caliber? Any other things that I should be aware of as I have never had a barrel rebored.

Thanks

Freischütz
04-24-2010, 08:10 PM
I've seen European wildcats using the 7.62x54R case necked up to 9mm and 9.3mm. A 35 cal version should work well too.

Skipper
04-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Get a hold of Wayne York. He does very nice work:

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/Relining-Reboring-MuzzleBrake.html

JeffinNZ
04-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Can you score an ex target .308 barrel. They have lots of life left in them and will cost not much. Then you have a REAL .30cal 54R.

303Guy
04-24-2010, 10:07 PM
I agree with Jeff. However, it would be hard to argue against the 35. But then again, have you fire-lapped the bore yet? Nothing to lose there. You'll be surprized, I think, to find out what a rust pitted and damaged bore can do with cast (and paper patched) after fire-lapping. It's the muzzle that's the problem - the bore tends to rust out more there, requiring a bit of the end being 'lost' and re-crowned. I would fire-lap it first and try it and see. (The rust pits hold lube, preventing leading!)

Suo Gan
04-25-2010, 01:06 AM
Like you say, I guess I don't have that much to lose by firelapping the bore. It is gonna take some work though.

303Guy
04-25-2010, 05:41 AM
This little beasty gets right into the corners.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/MVC-565F-1.jpg

The compound is in a groove contained by the neck so that no compound can get into the chamber.

A loaded beasty, ready to clean all the rust and crud out the bore and remove the sharp edges of the pits.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/PigGunFire-LapCartridge.jpg

The exposed bands are simply bore guides and leade engagers to ensure the beastie is turning as the grit hits the bore.

This is of course a drastic fire-lap for drastic bores. Only one or two are required.

rhbrink
04-25-2010, 06:30 AM
Check out www.35caliber.com, Jesse Ocumpaugh also in Oregon has a .35 X 54 listed as a standard reamer. I have read of several accounts where he does excellent work, maybe in the forums here somewhere.

MISSOURIANS for MOSINS

Ben
04-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Jesse does excellent work !

He rebored a Weatherby 308 Win. for me, ...converting it into a 358 Win.

Take a look at the targets that I've shot with this rifle :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=60124

303Guy
04-26-2010, 05:36 AM
Ummm....... If I had a Mosin with a worn bore and I had the money, I would get it rebored to 35cal. Just seems like an ideal case/caliber combo. It would be about on a par with the 35 Whelen, I should think. (In fact, I might just do something like that with one of my Lee Enfields one day.:roll: 35-303 - Perfect!)

Bret4207
04-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Just a word of warning- check and see what custom made dies are going to cost you. That's another $100.00 plus right there. Maybe you can make a stock set from another caliber work.

mike in co
04-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Just a word of warning- check and see what custom made dies are going to cost you. That's another $100.00 plus right there. Maybe you can make a stock set from another caliber work.

think part of the answer woul dbe to get a std sizing die converted to a bushing die and then use 35 cal bushings....the seater...check with wilson

mike in co