PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a Lyman 450 lubesizer

spqrzilla
04-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Well, I hauled home a Lyman 450 from the gun show today. I won't tell all what I paid for it, but I'm pleased even if its a new project.

For this 450 needs some cleaning and repair. For one, the handle is missing. Any suggestions on where to obtain a replacement handle for it?

Any suggestions on how to best pull it apart and clean it?

dragonrider
04-24-2010, 07:07 PM
To clean you can use a hair dryer or put it in a pot of boiling water, the lube will float to the top, let it cool then lift the hardened lube of the top of the water, lift the sizer out and it should be reasonably clean. I prefer the hairdryer method. Lyman will have the handle.

Duckiller
04-24-2010, 08:56 PM
There are two different handles that were used on the 450. I strongly suggest that you call Lyman customer service on Monday and have a nice long talk with them. They may not send out free parts like RCBS but they are very helpful people, at least the several I have talked to. If they can't sell a part cheap they will direct you to where you can get it cheap. They may be a sole source and you pay their price or get creative and make your own. Don't have their 800 number but a google search for lyman should give their number.

spqrzilla
04-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I was looking at the 4500 manual, and it looks like the 4500 and the 450 use the same part number for the link that the handle screws into. So I'm hoping that either handle will work.

Now I've got to figure out how to get the pressure nut out without bolting the thing to a bench.

Kraschenbirn
04-25-2010, 10:25 AM
I rebuilt one of my (70's-vintage) Lyman 450s last winter. If you've got the old stamped/spot-welded "bridle" style handle, those are no longer available. The good news is, though, that Lyman has a kit to convert 450s to use the 4500-style handle. Don't have the part # handy but, as Duckiller suggested, a call to Lyman Customer Service should get you on the right track.

Bill

spqrzilla
04-25-2010, 06:53 PM
This one is completely missing the handle.

spqrzilla
04-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Can anyone explain how to recognize which handle a 450 is set up for? Lyman tells me that the old style of handle requires a replacement link and ram to fit the new handle. They describe the difference in handles but I don't have a handle at all to match to the description.

My existing link has a threaded hole in it for whatever handle it was equipped with.

spqrzilla
04-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Never mind, I found a photo of an old style 450 and I can tell that mine has the newer link / ram / handle setup.

bbailey7821
04-27-2010, 01:16 PM
Here's where you go for the parts from Lyman. They're really inexpensive and they ship quickly. Follow the link to the "450" section. Happy sizing!

http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page151.html

GP100man
04-27-2010, 02:34 PM
If the ram has a head on it it1s the lod style & if it has a slot on top it`s the new style (prefered)

I`ve changed all mine over , is all the linkage gone ???

I`ll edit again later with the part# for the kit , I think I paid $17.50 + shippin for it

spqrzilla
04-27-2010, 02:56 PM
I have the new style of linkage and ram. So I should not need the $17.50 kit ( which does appear on the page linked above for Lyman parts ). I'm just going to order a handle and a new pressure nut and 'o' rings, I think. Plus a new H&I die and top punches to match the bullets I'm casting these days.

GP100man
04-27-2010, 07:15 PM
ya need the resivior cover to hold the screw centered when runnin low & place a peice of pvc 1/2x3/4 long so the pressure screw won`t run off the bottom!

jtownguy
04-28-2010, 11:37 PM
To clean you can use a hair dryer or put it in a pot of boiling water, the lube will float to the top, let it cool then lift the hardened lube of the top of the water, lift the sizer out and it should be reasonably clean. I prefer the hairdryer method. Lyman will have the handle.
I just read you reply as to how to remove the old lube from the sizer.
I have a similar problem in that I have a RCBS lube sizer that I bought over 15 years ago and stopped using it and now I am trying to figure the best way to get the old lube out of the cylinder? I hope I am not piggybacking on this link.