PDA

View Full Version : Tips on cleaning LEE Magnum Melter furnace..

21Glock
04-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Hi guys,
This is my first post here. I have been casting for about 5 years now and I love it almost as much as shooting. I cast handgun bullets.
I have noticed, that over the years I have a large build up from my overflows of lead from my molds that has accumulated on the right rear side of the pot covering the right heating coil or tube between the heating control unit and the pot. I know the pot is always hottest inside and this area never gets hot enough to get the lead soft enough to be scraped or pulled off.
Would I damage my furnace in this area if I carefully used a small hand held soldering torch to heat the lead in this area of the furnace enough to allow it to be scraped or pulled off of the furnace? I wouldn't let the flame touch the area where the temp controls are, just the area between the outside of the pot and on the right heating coil or tube going into the bottom of the pot.

I'm looking forward to learning much from many of you who been casting much longer than I have!

Thanks!

Mk42gunner
04-24-2010, 04:00 PM
21 Glock,

Welcome aboard, I don't know if a careful application of heat would cause any problems or not; as long as you are careful, and don't put the flame directly on the tube you should be okay. Maybe call Lee to see what their suggestion is?

Robert

21Glock
04-24-2010, 05:49 PM
21 Glock,

Welcome aboard, I don't know if a careful application of heat would cause any problems or not; as long as you are careful, and don't put the flame directly on the tube you should be okay. Maybe call Lee to see what their suggestion is?

Robert

I think I probably will give them a call on Monday. I shouldn't have let it get a build up like I have before I looked into doing something about it. But, better late that never I suppose.

Thanks for the reply.

shotman
04-24-2010, 06:12 PM
It shouldnt do it, get new heat coil .They may send you one free, but it only cost $9 for the coil and control