PDA

View Full Version : Felix lube vs C Red?

crabo
04-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Has anyone done any testing of the two lubes against each other? I don't really want to make the Felix lube, but if it offers any real advantage, other than saving a couple of bucks, I would probably try making a batch.

Thanks,

StarMetal
04-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Buy the C Red.

geargnasher
04-25-2010, 02:35 AM
What applications, Crabo? I did a direct comparison in .44 Magnum awhile back using the Lyman book gamut of charge weights for 2400 and I can fairly say the Carnauba Red consistently lost. Others will disagree. Starmetal, for example, I know has his own valid reasons for not prefering FWFL, and I don't think you share those same reasons. He doesn't use Carnauba Red at all as far as I know.

Gear

crabo
04-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Gear, everything from pistol to 30/30 rifle

geargnasher
04-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Carnauba Red ought to serve you pretty well for all that, but so would just about any of the good commercial or homade lubes. It you're shooting .30 caliber or smaller at 2500+ fps for groups, I would recommend FWFL, LBT Blue (hard), and I hear really good things about 357maximum's lube as well as Starmetal's soap lube. Like everything else, it depends.

Gear

StarMetal
04-25-2010, 01:46 PM
It's not whether Felix lube is good or not (it is good) it's why hassle making it when the Red C is great especially for the price.

I make my own lube because I'm shooting under extreme conditions which is high velocity and often in very fast twist bores. If you're going to stay under say 2400 fps (in slow twist bores) just about any lube will do. That's not to stay that Lee tumble lube will suffice in all rifle cast boolit loading.