PDA

View Full Version : Almost Great Idea

milkman
04-24-2010, 07:17 AM
I have been trying to figure out some way to crimp on my home made checks. I thought some kind of collet die, like the Lee FCD would be just the ticket. Welllll, I have a FCD die......

I shortened a case the length of a check, inserted a check cup down in the brass and sized it in place, placed a boolit with a check on top of the case and inserted everything into the factory crimp die and ..... NOTHIN.... Not enough motion from the collet to reach the check without the thickness of the brass around it.

Well, almost a really good idea.

milkman

imashooter2
04-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Try the next caliber down...

milkman
04-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Only factory crimp dies I have are 45, 35 and 30. I don't think the bullets will interchange in the dies.

imashooter2
04-24-2010, 01:26 PM
The concept is still sound, you just need to buy the dies to support.

JKH
05-14-2010, 01:59 PM
I thought of doing the same thing, try splitting a case mouth into fourths with a fine saw (Dremel would be best) so that the case will release from the check afer crimping, leave the case in place and slip the boolit base with check on it down from the top.

Conversely you can use a collet type bullet pulling tool, the only issue is you have to insert the boolit from the bottom, unless the design of you're press will allow it to be threaded in from the underside of the boss.

HTH

Jeff

Outdoors
05-15-2010, 10:47 PM
There's a youtube video about this .... using a 270 FC Die for 30 cal bullet.
The title is
Freechex part 2- Lee Crimp Die to crimp gas checks?

Doesn't appear to work very consistently from what he is saying ....

Pat