PDA

View Full Version : Cross bolt question ??

BSkerj
04-23-2010, 11:53 PM
I have been looking at a model 94 45/70..it is a used rifle but in good shape. Shop owner mentioned something about a cross bolt??? I am new to levers, is this good or bad ? and why ?...by the way he was asking 425.00.Thanks for all the knowledge you guys bring here

:wink::drinks:

crazy mark
04-24-2010, 12:05 AM
cross bolt safety. No half cock safety. lawyer proof gun so to speak. Takes a while to get used to the safety. Some people just remove them.

Lead Fred
04-24-2010, 12:48 AM
I just dont pay my CBS no mind.

I clicked it once, to see if it worked. It just sits there doing nothing.

winelover
04-24-2010, 07:42 AM
I put a tru-arc retaining ring on mine--keeps it from inadvertently being applied---can be removed any time you want and no one is the wiser.:bigsmyl2:

Winelover

jlchucker
04-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Hey, Crazy Mark--the Marlins with cross-bolt safety that I've owned still had the half-cock. I just put the safety button on "fire" and continued using those leverguns the way those models had been used for over a hundred years. Have they dropped the half-cock recently? All of my guns with the button had been at least 10 years old.

218bee
04-24-2010, 09:09 AM
when those first came out I saw where someone has a kit to remove them and replace with a screw. Probably have to tap receiver wall though. If ya search I would think ya could find it if ya dont want it. Mine just stays in fire position

crabo
04-24-2010, 10:05 AM
I put a tru-arc retaining ring on mine--keeps it from inadvertently being applied---can be removed any time you want and no one is the wiser.:bigsmyl2:

Winelover

Do you have a picture of this? I am not sure what the tru-arc retaining ring looks like.

jh45gun
04-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Hey, Crazy Mark--the Marlins with cross-bolt safety that I've owned still had the half-cock. I just put the safety button on "fire" and continued using those leverguns the way those models had been used for over a hundred years. Have they dropped the half-cock recently? All of my guns with the button had been at least 10 years old.

The brand new ones have a half-cock too nothing has changed.

winelover
04-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Heres a picture showing my 1894 SS with retaining ring installed on cross bolt safety.

Winelover

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo275/majorcin/Winelovers%20toys/DSC00852.jpg

Dframe
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
I just dont pay my CBS no mind.

I clicked it once, to see if it worked. It just sits there doing nothing.
Same here.

MtGun44
04-24-2010, 06:43 PM
An o-ring works too, easier on and off and won't mar the gun.

Or at least it works on my Marlins - not actually certain it will on the Win.

Bill

crabo
04-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the pic Winelover

crazy mark
04-25-2010, 12:25 AM

A friend has a new SS model in 45/70 that doesn't have the half cock. It has about a 1/4 cock that just clears the safety and full cock. Not the usual half cock I'm used to.

shotman
04-25-2010, 01:02 AM
that was put on so if gun was dropped on the steps you wouldnt shoot your motherinlaw in the upstairs bedroom

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-25-2010, 08:23 AM
This is a cool link that I got from another member on a question I had on another thread about safetly unloaded a "non-safety" gun . . .

Push the gate down past the rim and the cartridge comes out the same way it went in.

ETA video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCn3fxRhmB8

Hope that helps!:-)

PatMarlin
04-26-2010, 01:46 AM
I think the cross bolt safety is awkward at first, but I never understood the thought of it de-valueing the rifle. I think it's just a feature for the time period. Still a great rifle.

I love my 94 cross bolt-

http://www.patmarlins.com/94win2.jpg

http://www.patmarlins.com/94win6.jpg

hydraulic
04-26-2010, 08:54 PM
KCSO does a procedure which eliminates the cross bolt and fills the hole with the head of a cartridge of the appropriate calibre. Sure looks a lot better.

Centaur 1
04-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I have seen two people get shot, my best friend and my mother. Neither one died but it wasn't fun going through the ordeals. They were two separate unrelated incidences. My friend was shot while deer hunting by someone who wasn't following the rule about knowing your target and beyond. The other incident was an accidental discharge. That cross bolt safety might not be needed while hunting, but it sure is good to have while unloading the gun. Everyone that I've ever seen was very careful when they unloaded their gun, but most hunters do their best to not drop their bullets on the ground. I bet we've all seen someone stick their rifles muzzle in the truck so the bullets fall on the front seat. I guess what I'm trying to say is that no one is perfect and accidents happen. Take it from someone who's seen the results of an accidental shooting, please just put the safety on when unloading the gun. Accidents happen to the best of us, and once a bullets been fired you can't take it back. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

MtGun44
04-28-2010, 10:21 PM
On a hunt I had the darned crossbolt get accidentally put on. I missed a shot at a really
nice impala, just a REALLY LOUD 'CLICK'. VERY irritating. Added the o-ring after that.

Bill

Combat Diver
04-29-2010, 02:59 AM
I have been looking at a model 94 45/70..it is a used rifle but in good shape. Shop owner mentioned something about a cross bolt??? I am new to levers, is this good or bad ? and why ?...by the way he was asking 425.00.Thanks for all the knowledge you guys bring here

:wink::drinks:

Which rifle are you refering to? Neither Winchester or Marlin made a 45/70 Model 94. Wincester did chamber some 94s in .444 Marlin, Winchester 1886 was in 45-70. Marlin chambers the Model 1895 in 45-70, .444 & .450 Marlin. Both Winchester and Marlin added a cross bolt safety to thier later guns except the 1886 which now uses a tang safety. Marlins 1894 action is chambered for pistol cartridges like Winchester 1873s/1892s.

winelover
04-29-2010, 07:59 AM
On a hunt I had the darned crossbolt get accidentally put on. I missed a shot at a really
nice impala, just a REALLY LOUD 'CLICK'. VERY irritating. Added the o-ring after that.

Bill

And I'll bet that you are left-handed like I am. Never could understand why gun manufactures don't make safties ambidexterous. I would much prefer the tang safty.
It works for everyone and is more natural. IMO

Winelover:coffee:

EDK
05-02-2010, 01:05 AM
......I would much prefer the tang safty.
It works for everyone and is more natural. IMO

Winelover:coffee:

The cross bolt safety is probably cheaper to manufacture and didn't require major action re-design. A tang safety would interfere with COWBOY ACTION SHOOTERS wanting to install a tang sight...look at Cowboy rifles serial number location.

I'd really like to have MARLIN start drilling and tapping the receiver for the LYMAN #66 peep sight again...AND they could drill the tang for the LYMAN or MARBLES tang sights at the same time. Not much chance of that happening either!

:redneck: :cbpour: :Fire:

jh45gun
05-02-2010, 03:26 AM
Just for the record I love lever guns but they can be unsafe especially the older ones that can get worn and have issues. I had my dads old model 94 go off when I was unloading it when I was a kid. Fortunately no one was hurt because I was smart enough to turn away from every one while I was unloading the gun. My New Marlin Guide Gun has the safety and while I will use it just using the half cock while hunting I kinda like it for unloading and loading. it is safer.

Multigunner
05-02-2010, 04:04 AM
Could it be one of these?
http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/winchester-1886-extra-light-4570

The 1886 looks a lot like a Model 94.

Only thing I have against the crossbolt safety equiped Winchesters is the huge honking hole they drilled out in the receiver to mount it.
Probably doesn't effect strength of the action, but I'd always wonder about it.