PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1887

KCSO
07-20-2006, 02:37 PM
I finally got in my back orders of the Norinco 1887's and was able to do some shooting. I was lucky enough to get to shoot with a couple of friends that have originals also. The guns are probably as good as the originals in so far as function, but they do work better with rolled crimp shells. (so do the originals) In my working with these guns I was told that this is the only repeating shotgun that can be sold in Australia and that is why I have had to wait 6 months. Any of our down unders have a comment on this, no pump guns either?

Old Ironsights
07-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Austrailian law prohibits all self loaders and pumps. They didn't know about the 1887 so they didn't ban it.

As far as the Oz market eating up all the 1887s, maybe. I know it's popular enouh that ADI (Austrailian Defense Industries, iirc) is also looking to make them.

6pt-sika
07-20-2006, 05:26 PM
What do the repro 1887's go for ?

I've had a original 1901 in 10 gauge in my hands before. That was a pretty substantial piece of ordanance . Kinda like to see it in 10 gauge also .

Is there a web page for the 1887 ?

Also can you get it with screw in chokes ?

I'm kinda thinking if you could get one with a 20-22" barrel it would make a pretty decent buckshot gun for deer . I only use 2.75" shells in buckshot , so chamber length will not be an issue . Although I don't know if I can get anymore of what I have . Remington a couple years ago was loading Hevi-Shot buckshot in 12 gauge 2.75" shells and thats what I use . The stuff patterns great although it's not cheap , about $2 a shot .

Old Ironsights
07-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Coyotecap.com Nicely slicked up with extra goodies including chokes for under $650.

http://www.coyotecap.com/mod__'87_wcse.htm

6pt-sika
07-20-2006, 06:42 PM
I remember now looking at these a couple years ago . So the quality is pretty decent ?

9.3X62AL
07-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Oh, man--what a skeet shoot THAT would be with one of those critters. I need one like a trout needs a mountain bike, but they are just such cool tools.

grumpy one
07-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Austrailian law prohibits all self loaders and pumps. They didn't know about the 1887 so they didn't ban it.

As far as the Oz market eating up all the 1887s, maybe. I know it's popular enouh that ADI (Austrailian Defense Industries, iirc) is also looking to make them.

Lever actions are allowed in Australia, in all types of firearms. Pumps are allowed in rifles but not in shotguns. The Remington 223 pump rifle seems to have become vastly popular lately, mainly with those youths who would previously have bought assault rifles. I have a suspicion that it will only be allowed to be sold some crazy shoots up the place with one.

Geoff

waksupi
07-20-2006, 08:07 PM
A couple years ago, I was at a friends place up in Alberta. One evening, he says, lat's go down to the barn, and shoot some pigeons. He gave me one of these old lever guins, which had no choke, whatsoever. He, on the other hand, took a fine pigeon grade double gun. His hits were more frequent than mine. Much more frequent. He was ribbing me about missing, so I traded shotguns with him. It seems the odds changed drastically!

Frank46
07-21-2006, 02:18 AM
Saw one of these at a local gun show recently. Only one the dealer had, short bbl about 20" or so and had a fairly large shootgun buttstock. Did not ask about price.
Looked pretty cool and had good blue job and nice wood. frank

Buckshot
07-21-2006, 03:20 AM
.............Coyote is also toying around with chambering/barreling them to:

"...............If you want an '87 Winnie, get ahold of me, I have the IAC commemoratives that Cap, myself, and several others have been working on for the last 3 years... These are a faithful and beautiful reproduction of the original in look and FUNCTION... I'm Working on a post about them now. They are available in 12ga, 70/150/900,12/577 Short Chamber British, and 590 Super-Snider (577 Snider). I have pictures and reports and all sorts of stuff... so hold your horses for the REAL DEAL and the price is right!"

AT: http://p223.ezboard.com/fbritishmilitariaforumsfrm4.showMessage?topicID=39 0.topic

You could hurt yourself!

................Buckshot

KCSO
07-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Mine is the standard Norinco and I have no complaints on how it works. There are a couple of quirks to using it, but these were common to the originals also. As to being proffed to 43,000 That is one strong gun as the originals would come apart at he middle of the frame if fired with smokless loads. I even have a welding and tempering jig for fixing the old ones. The 1887 actually locks on two small shoulders on the back of the falling block and I never considered tham a real strong action. The original 87's had a short stock for a fellow over 6' and they were never comfortable for me to shoot. The Norchester has a stock 1" longer and is much better. The stock has just a pinch too much drop for me and I added a 1/4" to the comb and now I intend to use it for doves. I can't imagine the day someone would come to my door to collect Grandpa's 97 pump gun, after going through my gramps, dad, me and my son and now being held in trust for my grandson It would be a fight.

I am anxious to try brass cases in my 87 just to see how they work.
I am currently shooting B/P in trimmed 3" cases roll crimped at 2 5/8" length. I am loadining 82 grs of Elephant ffg and 1 1/4 oz of shot or 9 buck. This has been a good killer for me on just about everything.

Old Ironsights
07-21-2006, 04:53 PM
This is my Brother's Father-in-law's 1887:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/DadsWedding7-06079.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/DadsWedding7-06077.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/DadsWedding7-06078.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/DadsWedding7-06075.jpg

Too long for my tastes and too old to feel safe shooting. But boy would I like to have it for braggin rights and a Coyote Cap to shoot.

jerdog53
07-25-2006, 10:09 AM
When I was at End of trail this year there was a dealer there that had some slicked up race guns and I was very impressed and the prices were pretty good as well in the $550 range. Did not shot any but the action was slick and wood fit was nice. Wanted to take one home with me...should have......will have.

DEVERS454
08-17-2006, 12:45 AM
Well, I finally got to shoot one of Cap's 1887s in 12g.

I shot both BP loaded brass hulls (magtech) and an ounce of #8 chilled shot. Very nice action and FUN!!!

With Winchester FeatherLites, those too were nice and easy.

For $400, you can get one with the longer barrel. The Cap special is a 20" model and is slicked up a bit. It will eat just about any 12g load (well, 2 3/4" anyhow) you can throw at it.