PDA

View Full Version : Which top punch for Lee 8mm Kar & Max?

HangFireW8
04-23-2010, 11:15 PM
I just spent a half hour searching this site, castpics.net, even the old board. I can't find any recommended top punch for either boolit.

I've just been using a very large flat meplat type top punch, but its been bugging me that there might be a "correct" top punch out there that might be better, especially for some of the softer alloys.

-HF

largom
04-24-2010, 10:22 AM
I use or make an oversized top punch which I partially fill with epoxy and center on a well oiled [STP] boolit in the sizer. When the epoxy hardenes you have a perfect fitting top punch. These homemade punches fit better than factory ones because they fit your mold and alloy.

Larry

38-55
04-28-2010, 07:58 PM
Hey Ya'll,
Wow! three 'central' Marylanders in one post ! Hey if you need need a top punch made just track me down (pm me ) and I'll help ya'll out..
Stay safe
Calvin
Emmitsburg

HangFireW8
04-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey Ya'll,
Wow! three 'central' Marylanders in one post ! Hey if you need need a top punch made just track me down (pm me ) and I'll help ya'll out..
Stay safe
Calvin
Emmitsburg

Thanks Larry and Calvin! Its more a time & minimal effort request. I've been using an extra large flat meplat punch just fine so far, but was a little concerned if I go up in hardness that I'll mush the nose when seating gas checks.

It is also very low priority... the gun being loaded for is currently in need of a stock! haha It just bugged me that there's no TP, at least, not one identified... it offends my sense of order and completeness in the Universe.

I'll go worry about something else now.

-HF

largom
04-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Hangfire, I have both of the 8mm molds you mentioned and can make you a top punch for each if you want.

Larry