PDA

View Full Version : .38sp target Loads for Lee 140gr .358

jason867
04-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Hello! New member, longtime reader!

I picked up this mold because I think my taurus 85 ultra lite likes lighter bullets than standard 158s. Unfortunately my lee manual doesn't have this bullet listed.

The powders I have are: Accurate #2, Blue Dot, and Unique.

The only load I found was a cowboy action shooting load from Alliant

Max charge: 5.5gr Unique over a 140gr Hornady FP Lead - ~ 985fps

I just loaded up a box of them at 3.7 grains. According to handloads reduced charge calculator, this would be about 725 fps, kinda slow I know.

I was aiming for 4.0grs / 770 fps but the recommended lee cavity size was throwing 3.7 grains instead of 4, according to my scale. So I went with it. I will increase the charge as soon as I get more lead to cast more bullets

So anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to another load, preferably faster, for that bullet using the powders listed above.

Ben
04-24-2010, 02:37 AM
I may get " flamed " for these remarks by other Blue Dot fans , but if I were you...I'd stay away from Blue Dot and its use in your 38 Spec. Your supply of AA # 2 and Unique should serve you well however.

Much has been said about Blue Dot of late. Seems it is a little bit erratic, I personally stay away from Blue Dot. Some may like it and use it, but I'm leery of it. I've read of revolvers being blown up with Blue Dot using Alliant's factory data.

Alliant put out a warning concerning the powder a couple of yrs. ago. Here is some more information regarding Blue Dot if you'd like to look at it :

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-377168.html

Lloyd Smale
04-24-2010, 06:53 AM
try 3.0-4.0 of aa2. I use a ton of pr200 which is nothing but surplus aa2 in my 38s. Its clean burning and accurate about the only other powder i use anymore for 38s is bullseye. Bullseye is the king of powders in 38s in my opinion but i bought a bunch of the pr200 cheap when it was available and till it runs out ill use it.

AviatorTroy
04-27-2010, 03:25 PM
For a nice light target load I like 4.0 gr Unique with a cast 158gr LSWC so Im sure that charge would be lees pressure and slightly more velocity with your 140 grainers. For a REAL light load I like the classic 2.8 gr bullseye with the 140 gr WC, so about 3.5 gr Unique should be about equal.

Shiloh
04-27-2010, 09:13 PM
That Boolit, the LEE 140 gr SWC, has been a good boolit for me. It is new to my family about 2 months only.

Been using Unique and the loads are as follows.

3.9 gr. Unique gives 785.5
4.3 gr. Unique gives 892.9
These in a Security Six Stainless 6" bbl

4.5 gr. Unique gives 838.2 This is from a S&W Mod 15 4"bbl
Probably faster in a 6" bbl.

SHiloh

jason867
04-27-2010, 09:35 PM
I appreciate all of the data and comments

another gsxr 1k
06-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Does anyone have any information on the Lee 140g SWC using HP38 in a .38spl and .357? None of my books show a listing for the 140. General looking seems that 3.5g hp hp38 would be a good light starting load in .38spl. and 3.0g load in .357. Both of those are estimates based on my admittedly limited experience and literature available.

Thanks Much,
Ryan

ScottJ
06-19-2010, 02:37 PM
I picked up the same mold used at a gun show earlier this year. Casts great and drop out just right so I don't have to size them. I've only used it in .357 Mag so far.

I first tried 9.0gr Accurate No. 5. Here's 24 rounds double action starting at 7 yards and backing up a little bit after each cylinder full ending at 10 yards: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30775941&l=1f06043a3f&id=1159624218

I had a few spots of lead in the barrel so I've moved down to 8.3 grains which eliminated leading and seems a shade more accurate.

My only complaint is that the charge of No. 5 doesn't fill the case much so I can't eyeball check the powder on my Lee turret. I have another thread on here looking for a more case filling load that'll give me the same ballistic performance. Considering Unique if it will meter through my Lee Auto Disk as well as Bullseye does.

mosinman
06-19-2010, 07:11 PM
jason867, IMHO Accurate No. 2 would likely be ideal for your snubbie, fast burning, low flash, spherical (meters well) - have no data for it, however :-(.

Unique serves well in 38 Spl as long as loads aren't much below 4.0 gr. Below that, I've had incomplete ignition and some unburnt powder. Good for medium and up loads, not so good for light target stuff. In my Lee Auto Disk, Unique varies +/- 0.2 gr., more than I like for 38 Spl. Probably a Lee dipper would throw Unique charges more accurately :smile:. 4.5 to 5.5 gr. max works for my 146-148 gr. cast boolits.

Ryan - with HP38, 3.0 start to 4.5 gr. max works great with 146-148 gr. cast.

BTW, jason867 - how's the recoil with that Ultra Lite?

mosinman
06-19-2010, 07:26 PM
jason867, IMHO Accurate No. 2 would likely be ideal for your snubbie, fast burning, low flash, spherical (meters well) - have no data for it, however :-(.

Unique serves well in 38 Spl as long as loads aren't much below 4.0 gr. Below that, I've had incomplete ignition and some unburnt powder. Good for medium and up loads, not so good for light target stuff. In my Lee Auto Disk, Unique varies +/- 0.2 gr., more than I like for 38 Spl. Probably a Lee dipper would throw Unique charges more accurately :smile:. 4.5 to 5.5 gr. max works for my 146-148 gr. cast boolits.

jason867
06-19-2010, 10:11 PM

I neglected to mention on here that I settled on the following recipe.

140gr Lee LSWC, cast with wheel weights air-cooled, alox tumble lubed. Dropped from mould at .3585 or so, so no need to size (I couldn't anyway, no equipment.)
4.8gr of Unique (using auto disk pro it varies a tenth or so)
Federal Small Pistol Primers
mixed brass
Heavy crimp.

Shooting with my ultra lite.
Was accurate enough for me at 25 yards. Shot to point of aim with both laser and iron sights, so do the short barrel gold dots I carry.
No leading that I could see, after a quick swabbing with hoppes.
Very very little unburnt powder, maybe a flake or two per shell.
Recoil wasn't bad, but it wasn't lite either. I could shoot it all day if I wanted and i'm an average guy I guess (200lb 5'8")

I don't plan on changing the recipe unless I have to for some reason.

Recoil with my ultra-lite is strong but manageable. I have crimson-trace plastic laser grips, so that doesn't help with the recoil any. I'm sure it'd be more comfortable with some factory rubber or hogues.

My carry ammo is 135gr short barrel +P gold dots. They produce a little sting, but it's not bad enough to keep me from practicing with them, or relying on them. My recipe above feels a little less powerful.

I like the ultra-lite, although I've not shot many other revolvers.

Keep in mind that my opinion of recoil in this gun is relative to my tolerance for pain, which may be quite different than yours.

Edubya
06-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Recoil wasn't bad, but it wasn't lite either. I could shoot it all day if I wanted and i'm an average guy I guess (200lb 5'8")

Funny thing is I'm 210 and 6'2" and consider myself as average. I guess that it's all in the mind of the beholder.

EW