PDA

View Full Version : my original model 92 action

shdwlkr
04-23-2010, 07:06 PM
I had planned on making this into a 256 win mag but after talking to my new smith we decided to make the original into a 44 special and to find a miroku model 92 make it into the 256 win mag because of newer steel and better ability to deal with the pressure from the cartridge.
So now I have to get 2 barrels, 2 mag tubes, a new build action, a new set of stocks or two and who knows what else just to end up where I wanted to be in the first place.
If I didn't like levers so much it would help but this site and all the lead molds I can get is sure making it hard to not do silly things like this.
The action is being put together to see if it is all there and if not what parts we need and then get them. Then it is off to the barrel maker for the barrel and then to the smith to assemble and put the mag tube on and then put the wood on and then I get my first rifle.
I will then with the help of my smith and dealer begin the search for a miroku in model 1892 that is a little rough and begin the rebuild on that and with all this hope the wife doesn't get mad at the missing money.
She said I could have 2 custom rifles my choice but now there is a third and they don't come cheap at $1400-2600 a copy it takes a while to save up the bucks and then my dealer showed me a single shot sharps and I was drooling over that and I already have a winchester model 70 pre 64 on layaway.
My first custom rifle is a winchester BB in 375 winchester with a 26 inch octagon barrel and full mag tube with new wood and a duracoat finish.
Moving here was a good idea because of what? Oh that's right the wife got a job here that was it. Ha Ha
I just love having a dealer that sells used stuff at a fair price so we can use them and bang them up and not feel guilty doing it. The wife has her 06 already so this model 70 is mine and it has the old 24 inch barrel which I prefer.
time to milk and cookies.

pietro
04-23-2010, 08:41 PM
I hope your original 92 is/was a .38-40 or a .44-40, because AFAIK, if it's a .25-20 or a .32-20 the front of the action will need to be rebored for the larger .44 mag tube, and the thinner cartridge guides (bigger opening) will need to replace the thick one (smaller opening) issued with the smallbores.

If it was my original 92, I don't think I'd convert it at all. Jes' sayin'............

shdwlkr
04-23-2010, 09:44 PM
if it was more than just an action I would most likely restore it to what it was but all I have is the action and once the smith gets it back together we will know more as to what it most likely was and that will govern what we put in it for a cartridge.
Decisions all these decisions and what a fun thing to be doing. All I know right now is that it left the factory in 1914 as the serial number dates it to that year.