PDA

View Full Version : idea for the lott

charger 1
07-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Thinking of this in 520 grains for the lott
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/Chargerdive/mountaindesign.jpg

RangerBob
07-20-2006, 07:55 AM
RCBS makes a nearly identical bullet. It's listed as a 500 grainer.

My mold throws 525gr bullets out of wheel weights.

And it is VERY accurate out of my .458WM.

BOOM BOOM
07-20-2006, 04:09 PM
HI,
Why did you choose the 458 Lott instead of th 450 Ackley?
I would like to hear more about your expernces w/ the 458 lott.

3584ELK
07-20-2006, 05:22 PM
HI,

Aren't they basically the same cartridge? I read an article that Gil Sengel did on the .450 Ackley Improved using a 1917 Enfield. Good article, especially if, like me, you have one and are ready to modify it. :-D

charger 1
07-21-2006, 06:01 AM
HI,

IMHO Po Ackley was a failure. For everything he did there was already an off the shelf as good or better. He werent no Roy Weatherby....Sides I already had the lott fromm africa

cast-n-blast
07-24-2006, 08:24 PM
The 450 ackley is simply the 375 H+H necked up and blown out. It has a slight shoulder. The Lott is basically a straight taper case that is slightly longer in length than the 458 WM. The Lott can shoot both 458 WM and Lott cartridges, and the Ackley can not shoot 458 WM. Lott designed this cartridge this way so that standard length actions could shoot the longer Lott cartridge first, followed by 458 WM cartridges that would cycle normally in the shorter action. Of course the rifle would have to have been reamed to the Lotts dimensions. And, 458 WM could be used in a pinch, should you be out of Lotts cartridges. Smart Man !

charger 1
07-25-2006, 06:37 AM
Oh I know what the ackley is. I know what the ackley version of literally everything is and that is a bidismal failure by comparison to cartridges of similar calibration. Plus theres the 458 wm short load,plus you just cant go wrong loading a perfectly straight cartridge

BOOM BOOM
08-01-2006, 04:10 PM
HI,
Well the 450 Ackley has 11% more powder space. The 458 Lott is just a straite wall 375 H&H.

charger 1
08-01-2006, 05:15 PM
HI,
Well the 450 Ackley has 11% more powder space. The 458 Lott is just a straite wall 375 H&H.

Straight walls the king of simplicity

BOOM BOOM
08-10-2006, 03:32 PM
HI,
Please keep posting your experances w/ the 458 Lott, I for 1 am very interested.

Idaho Sharpshooter
08-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Well,

IMHO PO Ackley was the daddy of efficiency. He was doing 30-45-degree shoulders and minimum taper while Roy Wby was busy designing a shoulder that he later admitted was complicated, just to keep gunsmiths from copying his shoulder shape. Anybody who has ever owned a 257 Roberts and had it "ackley-ized" knows he doesn't need a 25-06. Read Ackley's books, and study his work. Taught several hundred aspiring gunsmiths at Trinidad their trade, and developed the modern cartridge design we all enjoy. Roy Weatherby never did a damn thing for anybody else. Stole Buhmillers' 450 Magnum (aka 450 Rigby) design and the 416 Rigby...belted them and put that ******* shoulder on them.

Again, your results may vary...

Rich

waksupi
08-12-2006, 12:34 AM
I'm glad you brought Ackley, and Buhmiller into the picture. Any one after who came after, have basically been Johnny Come Latelys, trying to re-invent the wheel. Ackley understood ballistics, pressures, and design. Buhmiller also did, and was able to take his developments to Africa every year for testing. These guys had thier poop in a pile.
If a person were to call Bauska Rifle Barrel Co, in Kalispell, Mt., they just may find that there are a few of the original Buhmiller chamber reamers on hand, as John and Les used to work together. Les is wheelchair bound now, and just may enjoy a conversation with a knowledgable shooter, about cartridge development. He was in the thick of it, and has some great insight, that will no doubt be gone in a few short years.
I do regret that I turned down an excellent deal on one of Buhmillers' elephant rifles some years ago. I seem to recall the bore size was in the .400 range. I didn't care for the short, Mannlicher style of the rifle at the time. I'd like it a lot better, now!

felix
08-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Roy Weatherby was a marketing genius, and did everything for that direction. He was no PO Ackley by any stretch of the mind, and could actually care less. ... felix

BOOM BOOM
08-14-2006, 04:17 PM
HI,
I knew P.O.Ackley personally & have a lot of respect for his work, he & the wildcatters of his era ( Newton, Mashburn,ect.) are the reason we have such a wide choice of cartrages. They did all thier work without pressure barrels and the fancy labretories we have today. Ackley was the one who did all the early work to find out the relative strengths of actions and we as shooters owe him alot.
I have a rifle made by him & will never part w/ it willingly.

charger 1
08-15-2006, 07:08 AM
HI,
have a lot of respect for his work

I personally dont,thats allowed isnt it:)

snowwolfe
11-30-2008, 10:53 PM
I did a search and resurfaced this topic. I have a Lott and need to buy a mold for it. Is the RCBS mold still the one to purchase? If so, what part number is it?
Thank you all in advance