PDA

View Full Version : The Last of the North Haven Marlins?

zardoz
04-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Last weekend, I was perusing my favorite firearms shop, and spied it. A beauty I had been in love with for a while. A Marlin 1894, chambered in 44 Magnum.

The owner said the historic North Haven Plant was closing, and over 250 would be losing their jobs. Having worked in a manufacturing industry myself, the last 24 years, that has been decimated (aluminum die casting), this was very sad news to me. I had no idea.

Well, today, I walked in after work, and got that beauty. My first lever action, which will be the traditional sidekick of the SW 629 I have.

The gun is brand new, never fired, and has the North Haven roll mark. According to this article, the plant will start laying off workers next year, and will close in June 2011.

Apparently, they are moving these rifle manufacturing operations out of state. Marlin was founded in North Haven in 1870 it says. So I figured to get this bit of history, before no more are made there.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/business/north-haven-marlin-firearms-plant

jr545
04-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Truely the end of an era.
My only hope is that somehow the new plant employees find a way to put the quality back in the product but I won't hold my breath.
I am huge Marlin fan but sadly have sworn off purchasing any newly manufactured Marlins. The quality is just no longer there from the examples I have seen and the complaints I've heard.
Luckily, there are tens of thousands of previously loved Marlins from a bygone era looking for a new home.

jh45gun
04-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Well except for the plug screw for the scope that I could not get out of my new Guide gun I have no complaints about my new Marlin. Yea that safety sucks but that can be left on and ignored and it is kinda nice when your loading and unloading. The wood is nice and fits well and the metal work is decent plus it shoots great I have no complaints except for that screw and that is a minor thing.

Tony65x55
04-24-2010, 01:25 AM
I love my 444XLR and find it's workmanship and quality to be equal, in every way, to my older Marlins. I hated the stupid cross bolt safety but for a mere $50 my gunsmith made it go away. It is smooth and very accurate and functions slicker than slick. I'm happy.

excess650
04-27-2010, 08:42 PM
I've always like Marlin leverguns, and have a few.:smile: When I heard they were closing the plant I started thinking about buying a new 1894C. I had looked at them several years back and noticed the conventional rifling, checkering, rubber buttpad, and ramp front sight that were all lacking on the older 357s. Despite having a pair of microgroove 357s, I bought a new one yesterday.

Things that I've already noticed is that they eliminated the receiver sight holes on the side of the receiver.:x The wood to metal fit around the tangs is definitely inferior to my older guns.:x The action is stiffer as would be expected in a new gun, and the chamber is tighter...not necessarily a bad thing. I like the checkering, rubber buttpad, and ramp front sight. I'll be curious to see how the conventional rifling behaves compared to my microgrooves.

I have a straight grip 1895 45-70, early 336SC .35, a later 336C .35, and a 336CB in 30-30 1894CL in 32-20 in addition to the .357 mag 1894C(s). I've also owned an early 1894 in 38-40 and 1893 in 38-55 and a couple of 44 mag 1894s, an 1894CL in 25-20, and a 336T in 30-30.

I wish that I had bought a 1894M 22 mag and the 1894CB in 32 H&R Mag.

The 357 mag 1894Cs are definitely my favorites.

Southern Son
04-28-2010, 03:36 AM
Good find, Zardoz. I am more than happy with my 1894SS 44Mag. On Sunday it won me a 100 primers (Large Rifle????).

GabbyM
04-28-2010, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=jr545;877637]Truely the end of an era.
My only hope is that somehow the new plant employees find a way to put the quality back in the product but I won't hold my breath.
QUOTE]

Plant employees do not set quality control standards Management does. In the new era school of thought taught at all universities. Managements bean counters are looking for a MINIMUM scrap percentage. If scrap rates are not high enough that simply means , TO THEM , that workers are not working at maximum effort. That problem is fixed pretty quick. Any workers who won't work up to their potential and start running scrap are discharged.

NickSS
04-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Its sad when an old time maker like Winchester and Marlin close their doors but then that is business. My dad lost his job years ago when the factory he worked at closed down due to state environmental regs driving the company to relocate to another state. In the state I am living in State taxes are driving some businesses away. Like Boeing has moved their corporate head quarters and are manufacturing some of their planes in other states. The reason? Washington taxes are not business friendly and this causes businesses to relocate to someplace that is cheaper to operate at. I do like my Marlins and hope when they open the new plant in SC they will produce the same good guns.

Combat Diver
04-29-2010, 02:53 AM
As I understand it the Marlin production will be shifting to Remington's Illion NY facility. Corporate HQ will be at the Remington HQ in NC.

CD

GabbyM
04-29-2010, 01:01 PM
As I understand it the Marlin production will be shifting to Remington's Illion NY facility. Corporate HQ will be at the Remington HQ in NC.

CD

I'm sure the box will say Illion.

There's manufacturing and then there is assembly. I think the only part FN makes for the M-70 is the barrel. Rest is out sourced but as far as I know it's all made in the USA.

I have complete faith in Remington making a mess of Marlin. However perhaps they have leaned something from their past debacles. Let's hope. :violin: