PDA

View Full Version : Last chance on Lyman Kit Sizer/Pot/Ladle/Manual/mold

HangFireW8
04-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I think I've figured out why Midway is closing out the Lyman Master Casting Kit at low prices. I just ordered one, and when I received it see that it has the full cast boolit reloading manual. I figured it just had the little orange digest-size manual (it has 2 of those).

Anyway, since Lyman is coming out with a new manual soon (can't wait!), vendors are closing out these kits with the old manual. For the price of the sizer alone you get a 4500 sizer, Mini-Mag furnace, Ladle, the book sized manual, stick o' lube, and an Ingot mold.

Add up the separate prices on these to see what a great deal it is.

It just dropped 4 more dollars since I ordered it on Monday. Oh, well. If I waited much longer, there may have been none in stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=573247

You may want to add a lube heater, or just use a hair drier or a reading lamp. If you are new at this, you'll also need a sizing die and a top punch to get started.

-HF

HangFireW8
04-24-2010, 05:45 PM
I have to condition my enthusiasm for this deal since I just checked out the 4500. The top ram and bottom die holder are visibly out of alignment. A boolit resized with a matching top punch showed visible bending to one side. Floating the top punch only helped a little due to the magnitude of the misalignment.

It's back in the box and will be sent back Monday. What a waste of time and energy.

-HF

captaint
04-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Sometimes we have to wonder about Midway and these closeout/clearance things. I did get a good deal on clearance at Cabelas once. It was a 150 buck St. Croix spinning rod. Got it for like 15.00.. The top eye had come off - and it was still with the rod. So i went home and got out the epoxy!! enjoy Mike

HangFireW8
05-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Sometimes we have to wonder about Midway and these closeout/clearance things. I did get a good deal on clearance at Cabelas once. It was a 150 buck St. Croix spinning rod. Got it for like 15.00.. The top eye had come off - and it was still with the rod. So i went home and got out the epoxy!! enjoy Mike

Mailed the 4500 to Lyman USPS Priority on Monday.

Called them Friday, no record, said probably hadn't checked it in yet in Receiving.

Looked on the porch and there it was. :holysheep

Checked it out this weekend, while not perfectly aligned, it is much, much better. Floating the top punch is enough to size without problems. A little hard lube holds it there for a full session.

That has to be my fastest turnaround experience ever for any warranty item in any field of endeavor. Notes said my parts were assembled on a different body, tested, checked out OK and returned to me.

Wow.

-HF

pistolman44
05-02-2010, 12:57 AM
I just got mine the other day. You are right it did drop in price quickly from $138 to $133. I didn't open mine up yet but after reading your post I'll look at it today. You break up this kit and list each part seperate on Flea Bay you could make some extra cash. I was thinking of buying a couple kits myself and sell all the parts seperate. I have seen bidders bid on something that is used and end up bidding more than the cost of a new one.