PDA

View Full Version : Magma moulds

mag44uk
04-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Has any one bought a mould recently from Magma?
If so what is it like?
Throwing a boolit to spec?
I am looking at a couple of pistol moulds for use with handles.
Cheers,
Tony

deltaenterprizes
04-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Buy SAECO they are much better and in the same price range. I converted SAECO molds to use on my Magma casting machines. Magma used converted SAECO molds when they built their first machines. RCBS molds are good for the price also.
One of the partners of H&G liked the alloy that SAECO uses because it has a little copper in it.

old_haidouk
04-23-2010, 10:12 PM
deltaenerprizes, I was looking at some Magma molds too. I am glad you have experience with them. When you say that SAECO are better is it because they cast better, more accurate bullets or because they are better molds and last longer?

deltaenterprizes
04-23-2010, 10:28 PM
I like the designs better and Magma molds tend to chip easier under the snaping close of the automatic machines. Saeco molds fit handles without modification.

LAH
04-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Has any one bought a mould recently from Magma?
If so what is it like?
Throwing a boolit to spec?
I am looking at a couple of pistol moulds for use with handles.
Cheers,
Tony

I have a couple I use in a Master Caster. I have no complaints. Walt of NEI cut a few moulds for me in Magma Blocks and I love them. I haven't run them in a Auto Cast machine though.

mag44uk
04-24-2010, 04:33 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.
They have one design for the 41 mag,a cowboy style,which looks like it would work well in my Marlin for paper shooting.
I would only be using it with handles to hand cast.
Cheers,
Tony

LAH
04-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I use a 32-120-RNFP by Magma with handles. It operates & casts perfectly.

fredj338
04-25-2010, 01:04 PM
deltaenerprizes, I was looking at some Magma molds too. I am glad you have experience with them. When you say that SAECO are better is it because they cast better, more accurate bullets or because they are better molds and last longer?
I have 5-6 Magma molds. Opinions vary, but I find the quality of the Magam molds equal to the Saeco or RCBS. I don't know about durability, I use them on a MasterCaster, still going strong after 10-15yrs of on again, off again cast, what most of us do. Magma has a wider variety of molds than Saeco, but only 2cav.

old_haidouk
04-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Thank you fredj338 and deltaenterprizes. Just heard some people say that Magma molds are good quality but their designs are not as good as RCBS or others.