PDA

View Full Version : Felix lube, how much does it make.

Changeling
04-23-2010, 02:04 PM
If one follows the instructions for making Felix lube to the letter how much/many lube will it make in hollow sticks. I ask this because somewhere I read that when making this lube you couldn't just double the ingredients to make a bigger batch. Not sure if this is correct.

wiljen
04-23-2010, 02:07 PM
You can double the ingredients and it will work. I would suggest you double the time you polymerize the oils to about an hour at just below 300F. This will guarantee a full polymerization and for many 1/2 an hour still results in oils leaking from the finished product.

Changeling
04-23-2010, 04:14 PM
wiljen thanks for the response and information. Can you tell me roughly how many hollow sticks I can expect from the recipe?

geargnasher
04-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Most hollow sticks are about an ounce and a half, right? The ORIGINAL recipe for FWFL ends up being around 7-8 ounces total.

Gear

Changeling
04-24-2010, 03:05 PM
When making Felix lube would it be OK to use "Ben's" coffee/heating pot idea? It was a fantastic idea to use a pot like that, you can just take it outside to do the heating and mixing/making?

Hip's Ax
04-24-2010, 03:57 PM
I don't know if a coffee pot would get hot enough to bring the oil mixture to the smoke point for the half an hour of stirring. I use a single burner hot plate and a metal pitcher sold for making candles.

94Doug
04-24-2010, 05:03 PM
The real trick would be if the coffee pot would perk, then you wouldn't have to stir at all. Sounds like if maybe Tim Allen could wire one to 220.......

Doug

geargnasher
04-25-2010, 02:22 AM
When making Felix lube would it be OK to use "Ben's" coffee/heating pot idea? It was a fantastic idea to use a pot like that, you can just take it outside to do the heating and mixing/making?

Think about it: What temperature does Felix say to cook the lube? How hot does the coffee pot get? (hint, water boils at 212F at sea level).

Gear

94Doug
04-25-2010, 03:29 AM
see...... all you need is more power.

Doug