PDA

View Full Version : .236-60 tap

Wayne Smith
04-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Brownells wants $38+ for one -gag! I need four holes threaded, and in brass.

Any alternative ideas? I can ask my gunsmith if I can borrow a tap, but I think he'd be a little reluctant!

jhrosier
04-23-2010, 08:29 PM
If this is for your grip making jig and you do not intend to remove the bushings,
I would drill a hole to be a close fit to the outside diameter of the thread, degrease everything good and seat the bushings in a dab of JB weld. Put some boolit lube in the inside hole so you don't get any JB in the threads.

Jack

Wayne Smith
04-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Humm - Wat would happen if I drilled the shaft hole in the brass, slightly champfered it, and turned the bushings in with a screwdriver in a drill press. Do you think they might self-thread?

I've never used JBWeld in brass. Does it work well in non-ferrous metals? Since it's a 2-part epoxy I guess it should.

dragonrider
04-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Wayne I thought I had that tap, turns out what I have is the .150-50 tap for the grip screw. You can mooch that if you need it.

JIMinPHX
04-24-2010, 11:33 PM
All the alternatives that I know are more expensive.

Wayne Smith
04-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks, Paul, that one I don't think I need.

dominicfortune00
04-25-2010, 09:05 PM
If you have a bolt of that size, you could use a file or a dremel to cut slots in the threads on the bolt to make it look like a tap, then use it in the proper sized hole as a tap.

Being that you want to tap brass it shouldn't need to be hardened.

I've done this when I don't have a tap to clean out holes, and it works!

Bret4207
04-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Try MSC or Enco. They usually have far less expensive taps than Brownells.

Wayne Smith
04-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Doninic, if you find a bolt that's threaded .236-60 please let me know! Other than on a 1911 grip screw bushing, that is.

A guy at Grainger accepted the challenge - he said it was his first challenge today.

StarMetal
04-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Just type " .236x60 tap for sale" in google. That's what I do for hard to find taps and dies.

scb
04-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Wayne as far as I know (and I guess you're finding out) 1911 grip bushings are the only screws in the known world that use that thread. Therefor it's not a mass produced tap like a 10-32 or an m5 x.8. I doubt seriously you'll find them outside a gunsmith speciality house. I thought I had one but just spent a half hour looking and can't seem to find it. I looked on a couple of the reamer rental sites and they (4-d) have some odd taps S&W K frame barrel taps, Mauser receiver taps and the like but no bushing tap. Maybe if you put in a request.

StarMetal
04-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Here's your tap from Midway for $20

http://www.midwayusa.com/BROWSE/BrowseProducts.aspx?brandId=2209&numberOfResults=16

scroll down and you'll see it. It's from Swenson.

Wayne Smith
04-27-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks, StarMetal, it's on my wish list. Since I'm a dealer I've got to get the order up to 40.00 to send it in. Only have two orders pending now! Probably won't take long.

StarMetal
04-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks, StarMetal, it's on my wish list. Since I'm a dealer I've got to get the order up to 40.00 to send it in. Only have two orders pending now! Probably won't take long.

My pleasure...the secret to using a search engine, such as Google, is being able to ask the right question with the proper wording. Took me all of 30 seconds to find that tap.

Wayne Smith
04-28-2010, 12:42 PM
I guess my problem is going to specific companies web sites and then searching. I'm guessing their search engines are not up to Google.

Coffeecup
04-28-2010, 03:00 PM
If you're just building a grip-making jig, I've got a tap for an oversize grip screw bushing you could borrow--thread sizes are larger, but the external bushing is the same. Might take me a day to remember where I stowed it, but I do still have it.

Wayne Smith
04-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks, coffeecup, but I have the bushings and need the tap for them. If those are a larger thread size, and I'm tapping brass, lateral forces as I grind the rock would create major problems I would think. I'm guessing I would get a lot of movement and eventually the holes in the brass would expand even more.

kywoodwrkr
04-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Humm - Wat would happen if I drilled the shaft hole in the brass, slightly champfered it, and turned the bushings in with a screwdriver in a drill press. Do you think they might self-thread?

I've never used JBWeld in brass. Does it work well in non-ferrous metals? Since it's a 2-part epoxy I guess it should.
Wayne,
Could you use process you described, and tin bushing and brass, and then just solder in?