PDA

View Full Version : Texas Heat Lube

nueces44
04-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Anyone know a lube which will not get sticky, or wet in heat?
Of course not having to use heat on lube/sizer.

geargnasher
04-23-2010, 04:36 PM
I make a 'Summer' batch of Felix lube which has a touch more carnauba, works fine for me. I don't think it would stand being left in a car in the Texas sun though, so plan accordingly. White Label Carnauba Red stands heat ok too, so does Orange Magic if you can stand the stuff.

Gear

cajun shooter
04-25-2010, 10:37 AM
If you have a special lube that melts in the Texas heat and you add to it, you have changed the lube. You might get away with adding some parrafin made by Gulf but then you might have to use that heater to start. The best way to keep your lube is loaded in a case.

MtGun44
04-25-2010, 12:47 PM
Soft and sticky is GOOD.

geargnasher
04-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Soft and sticky is GOOD.

Agreed, and they are plenty soft and sticky at 105*!

Gulf Wax is a no-go for hardening lube. It makes it harder at room temperature for sure, but it runs like water at a lower temperature than beeswax.

Gear

buck1
04-25-2010, 01:10 PM
3 pts bees wax,1 pt lithum greese, and carnuba to harden to taste, hasent ran yet in SE NM. Good lube too.

leadman
04-27-2010, 10:14 PM
LBT Blue Soft works well here in Phoenix. Haven't shot it over 115' though. Up to that temp it works great.

It is a soft lube and sticky, but if you add 20% beeswax by volume it is firmer and still works just as well. Veral told me about adding the 20%. Might have to use a heater at 50' to get it to flow well.

StarMetal
04-28-2010, 12:37 AM
See, I'm hearing more and more lithium grease lubes. 357maximum was right about that stuff.

I agree adding something to a developed lube can change it.

The LBT Blue Soft that I have is on the verge of having to heat to run through my luber/sizer in say 65 degree temperature.

I'm not promoting it but my soap lube is not affected by summer heat one iota.

SciFiJim
04-28-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm not promoting it but my soap lube is not affected by summer heat one iota

Soap lube?

I have to deal with heat issues here in the CA desert. I have to make sure I keep things in the shade at the range or it will burn you hand when grabbing during the summer.

So far I have been using CR, but it requires heat to apply.

leadman
05-05-2010, 10:22 PM
LBT BS will take some heat if temps are below 60' or so. I have a heater but I had bought a heat gun from Harbor Freight awhile back for $10. Hit the luber with it once for a little bit and you are good to go for quite awhile.

I have been adding 20% beeswax to LBT Blue Soft to get rid of the stickiness so it does take a little more heat now, but is much cleaner to work with.

Beekeeper
05-11-2010, 09:55 AM
OK Star , What is the recipe for your famous soap lube HHHH_____MMMMM?

Jim

buck1
05-15-2010, 03:30 PM
See, I'm hearing more and more lithium grease lubes. 357maximum was right about that stuff.

I agree adding something to a developed lube can change it.

The LBT Blue Soft that I have is on the verge of having to heat to run through my luber/sizer in say 65 degree temperature.

I'm not promoting it but my soap lube is not affected by summer heat one iota.

I think it was garth choat who first played with it years ago.
Its funny how manny time we re invent the wheel.
By the way your old slick 50 grease lube does well also.

miestro_jerry
05-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Whwn I need to make a lube more heat resistent, I shave some soap off a bar of Ivory Soap and mix it into the batch of lube, I am making. It seems to handle the heat much better with out changing the rest of the recipe.

Jerry

357maximum
05-17-2010, 01:46 PM
I think it was garth choat who first played with it years ago.
Its funny how manny time we re invent the wheel.

What's even funnier is how pigheaded/blind/ignorant I can be. Very early in my "lube lab" days I played with the old Lithi-Bee type recipes and they worked very well for me even at "IMPOSSIBLE" CastBoolit velocities using J-word data that totally violated all the "THRESHHOLDS" . In the HUNT for something BETTER I spent alot of time and $$ to eventually come back full circle to the Lithi-Bee idea sligthly tweaked with a soft microwax base. Lube ain't gotta be difficult or made of exotic thing$ to work well.