PDA

View Full Version : Sta-Warm Pot

R.M.
07-19-2006, 11:59 PM
I was given a bottom pour pot that should hold about 40 pounds of alloy. It's a Sta-Warm, 240VAC. After purchasing all the necessary plug ends and what-not to get it fired up, I find that I can only get it up to 580 degrees.
Has anybody heard of or know anything about this pot?
I've fooled around with the thermostat, even by-passing it altogether, but 580's all she's got.
I'd like to find a way to add some more heat. Any ideas???????

TIA
R.M.

grumpy one
07-20-2006, 12:30 AM
You haven't given some essential information here. What voltage are you using? Unless you live in the United Kingdom or Australia, how did you come by a 240 Volt pot anyway?

The power consumed by the heating element in the pot is proportional to the square of the applied voltage. If you were to apply 110 Volts to a 240 Volt heating element, it would only consume 21% of its rated power. If you were to apply 220 Volts to a 240 Volt element, it would consume 84% of its rated power. That is about as much as I can offer until you tell us what you have been doing up to now.

Geoff

R.M.
07-20-2006, 01:13 AM
Sorry, I should have said 220 VAC, and that's what I fed it.

R.M.

grumpy one
07-20-2006, 05:32 AM
Sorry, I should have said 220 VAC, and that's what I fed it.

R.M.

That answers my question, but doesn't help me answer yours. If you are applying full rated voltage and aren't getting enough heat input, the heating element isn't doing the job.

I've never heard of this brand of pot, but let's posit for the moment that it worked when it was younger. If it's lost it's punch, the first thing to suspect is bad electrical connections. They sometimes go sour where the leads attach to the ends of the heating element itself, because there's a combination of high temperature and high current there. If you have a voltmeter, and are confident that you have the skill to measure dangerous voltages at potentially high current levels, first ensure that the pot is properly grounded then CAREFULLY check the actual voltage between the two connections to the heating element (not the wires, but the element itself). If you have the full 220 Volts right there where it counts, then you either have a device that never did work, or the heating element itself has deteriorated. If you have low voltage at the element, you just have to check back until you find where the voltage drop is occurring.

Remember, 220 Volts is far more dangerous than 110 Volts. Do not test this device yourself unless you have previous experience - get someone experienced to do it.

Geoff

wills
07-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Are you sure it was intended for melting lead?

There is a Sa Warm that makes a lot of stuff that looks like it does not get that hot.

http://www.sta-warm.com

R.M.
07-20-2006, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=wills]Are you sure it was intended for melting lead?

You are probably right. It showed traces of lead, so it has had lead in it at some time.
I tried e-mailing Sta-Warm, but they haven't bothered to answer back.
As it doesn't quite produce enough heat, I'm trying to figure a way to add a bit more.
It would be so nice to process my batches with this super quiet pot than the plumbers pot that sounds like a jet engine in high gear.

R.M.

omgb
07-20-2006, 01:10 PM
If indeed it turns out to be for something other than lead and if adding a new element that runs hot enough is not economically sound, then might I suggest Wage? The web site for Waage doesn't show the pot you need but they do have a lead pot and it does hold 20+ lbs. IIRC, it runs about $150 shipped CONUS

wills
07-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Text of e mail I received from Waage
Hello Wills,
We manufacture a ~25 pound pot 115 volts temp ~820 degrees F. The model number is K4757 The price is $120.00 + 14.00 S&H to your location. a photograph is attached for your information. The estimated manufacturing time is 10-14 days.
Looking forward to answering your questions. visa/mc accepted for your convenience
Best Regards,
Marc Waage

But it got here faster than they estimated. And here is a picture they sent me.

grumpy one
07-20-2006, 06:29 PM
[QUOTE=wills]Are you sure it was intended for melting lead?

You are probably right. It showed traces of lead, so it has had lead in it at some time.
I tried e-mailing Sta-Warm, but they haven't bothered to answer back.
As it doesn't quite produce enough heat, I'm trying to figure a way to add a bit more.
It would be so nice to process my batches with this super quiet pot than the plumbers pot that sounds like a jet engine in high gear.

R.M.

Having belatedly taken a look at their website, it looks to me as if you have a pot designed for melting things like plastic. More likely than not it has a lot more problems than just lack of heating power, when it comes to using it as a lead furnace. For a start, it may not be strong enough to stand the weight, it may not have heat insulation or heat proof components, and it may not have a pouring system that is at all suited to lead.

The most practical idea would be to just put this pot aside until your next garage sale.

Geoff

MGySgt
07-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Wills - can you measure the opening across the top? I think my Lyman Mag 20 is starting to go and this looks like a better setup then the Lyman. I use a dipper and I am wondering if the opening is slightly bigger then the Lyman - which is what I would want.

Thanks

Drew

wills
07-20-2006, 09:06 PM
I get 4.408 inches

I think they have one that holds about 40 pounds, but it is something like $465.

MGySgt
07-22-2006, 04:56 AM
Thank you Wills.

Drew

georgeld
07-27-2006, 11:02 PM
RM:
Sounds like Geoff know's what he's talking about.
Was hoping he'd mention that maybe one of the wire's was dead and you were only getting 110v instead of the 220v.

But, now that he mentions that might be a lighter duty rig made for something else that someone's tried to use for lead----well we all know the danger of that, right?

Take care, very interesting & education bunch here.

George