PDA

View Full Version : range lead

delmar
04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
I picked up about 10 lbs of lead under the plate targets tonight. I'm going to try to make a habit of picking up a little bit more every time I go. My question is Is there an easy way to get most of the tin and antimony out of it so I can use it to cast round balls for my percussion revolvers?

454PB
04-22-2010, 10:22 PM
The short answer is no.

I've tried, I once kept a pot melted for several days, fluxing occasionally, and though it lost a lot of weight in dross, it did not end up as soft lead.

Since .22 rimfire bullets are close to pure, you might want to concentrate on collecting them.

Jon
04-23-2010, 08:09 AM
The lead in jacketed and Hollow Point bullets should be pretty soft. It sounds like you're getting mostly cast though. Maybe someone else out your way would trade you.

delmar
04-23-2010, 04:23 PM
The lead in jacketed and Hollow Point bullets should be pretty soft. It sounds like you're getting mostly cast though.
That would be my guess.

zomby woof
04-23-2010, 05:26 PM
I get indoor lead from our range. It's no where's near pure and I get lots of jackets, 25-30% scrap. I estimate it's hardness at 9.4 BHN. I've got two different batches from several pails and they are pretty consistent. They are just under WW.