PDA

View Full Version : Case lube "indide" the case.

prs
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
In reference to the excellent "sticky" post above by 1hole; if using a water based lube or spray lube, is there any need to avoid having over spray of such lube enter the internal area of the cases? That is, will bullet "pull" be reduced? Opinion, educated guess, and supposition are appreciated; but experienced based knowledge would be most valuable.

In my typical routine, I may be cleaning/preparing several hundred cases at a time. Typically straight walled pistol brass shot with black powder. They are deprimed, rotary tumbled in detergent water, rinsed with clear water and then generously spritzed with Lee case lube in water, mixed while very wet to assure even spread of lube, and dried in onion sacs. The lube-water DOES get well into the cases and primer pockets. I have not, yet, noticed any primer problems and the occasional boolit that does have to be pulled with inertia "hammer" type puller is pretty dern reistant to pulling. No stuck cases, they size like warm butter. But, I don't wanna do wrong.

prs

1hole
04-22-2010, 04:32 PM
"1hole; if using a water based lube or spray lube, is there any need to avoid having over spray of such lube enter the internal area of the cases? That is, will bullet "pull" be reduced?"

Your comments are kind, and I just happened to be crusing while the wife finishes dressing to go out.

All of the sprays are supposed to be harmless to powder and primer, I have no reason to think otherwise.

Bullet pull, real pull not the difference between bullet and neck, will clearly be reduced by a lube. How much difference that makes is likely dependant on several variables so it may not make much difference on target. I avoid it by tumbling after sizing but that may not be such a good idea either.

It's a little known fact that a very clean neck and a very clean bullet will bond and adhere to each other tenaciously after some period of time, anyone who keeps ammo around for some years will see it if they pull the bullets. It can be virtually impossible pull bullets with an impact puller unless we first break that bond by running the cartridge into a seater and setting the bullet back a few thousants. I can clearly hear a "SNAP" from some old rounds when I break that seal.

I sure doubt that much increase in pull will help accuracy but I haven't range tested any of it. So, maybe a little inside neck lube that might prevent the "welding" could actually be good over time. ??