PDA

View Full Version : New idea for me

Beekeeper
04-22-2010, 10:30 AM
I happened to read a post by Ranch Dog on annother forum yesterday and decided to give it a try.
He advocated dipping boolits in alox and letting them dry before placing the gas check on.
Wanted to do some Lyman 225646 boolits but wanted to try some beeswax based lube as I get a lot of smoke with the alox / JPW mix I have been using.
I found that it works great with the exception of the excess lube puddle left on the base of the boolit when it dries( comes off with a thumbnail)
Boolits sized good and checks seated with no hassle.
I'm impressed (SHMBO says very easly) and will try the procedure again and try to get the lube to not make a puddle.
Maybe a screen to allow the lube to drain through.

Jim

dragonrider
04-22-2010, 11:55 AM
"He advocated dipping boolits in alox and letting them dry before placing the gas check on."

Why would one do that?? I can see where it would inhibit the gas checks ability to crimp on the boolit, not to mention that it would also prevent the check from being seated to the base of the boolit.
Not criticizing, but I don't understand the purpose.

Beekeeper
04-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Haven't tried it with alox yet and see where it might work well with larger size boolits.
Tried it on the .225s as I have wanted to try a lube other than alox.
Seems to work well and gives the boolits the appearance of having been run through a lubesizer instead of a Lee sizer and then pan lube
Have always had a problem sizing and seating a GC without messing one or the other up unless you lube first.
A little slow but it works and I am not in any hurry anyway.

Jim