PDA

View Full Version : A beginner's first pull of the trigger!

AKsoldier
04-22-2010, 06:35 AM
It's bee a while since I posted here, and for that I apologize. Many of you here have helped me out and you deserve my gratitude.

Since I began my quest for the affordable, and almost limitless supply of lead available to those of us who can't live with shooting only on Saturdays, I have found a veritable wealth of knowledge here, as well as a generous and enthusiastic crowd eager to help me learn the art of casting boolits!

Folks here have sent me books, lube, and lead. I had only to purchase the remaining components, and considering my fifth child is on the way - THANK YOU! I cannot afford to buy much these days!

So now on to my experience.

I've posted this before, but as a re-cap: I bought a 5-gallon bucket of wheel weights from a local tire shop for $25.00. So far, I have smelted about 1/3 of it and cast about 250 boolits for .45 ACP, water-dropped, loaded with both Universal, and 700X. These are waiting delivery of my battalion commemorative pistol (Para Ordnance 1911) to test.

I also cast about 200 boolits for my 460 S&W. These are 300 gr. gas-checked wide-meplat boolits from a Lee mold. I have loaded and fired them. What I have found is that they are extremely accurate with low-pressure loads using trail boss powder. They grouped into under an inch from 25 yards off-hand. High-pressure loads are a different story though. With 40 grs. of lil gun, they quickly lost accuracy and the groups went WIDE. I looked at the bore, and it looked like a smooth-bore. Lead-city!

I am going to experiment with a different lube to see if that will help. I used LLA, ran them through a LEE .452 sizing die and coated them again with LLA.

Blammer, a member here was kind enough to send me some LLA and some home-made lube to get me started, so I'm going to try his lube first.

I will say though, that I whole-heartedly recommend trail boss powder for anyone who is looking for light-recoiling loads. According to Handloader magazine, it can even be used for jacketed bullets in bottle-necked rifle cartridges!

I'm really looking forward to shooting my .45 ACP boolits when my Para 1911 arrives. I used wheel weight alloy, water dropped from a LEE 228 gr. mold for those. I have about 125 or so loaded with Universal, and the rest with 700X. More updates to follow!

82nd airborne
04-22-2010, 08:25 AM
the para commemerative pistol shoots cast very very well. I too have one (delta 1/504 ) and its a heck of a bargain with 5 mags! hope you enjoy!

chris in va
04-22-2010, 09:03 AM
I used wheel weight alloy, water dropped from a LEE 228 gr. mold for those

I would recommend you air drop the next batch of 45 boolits. Water drop will make them too hard for the low pressure round. I shoot these in my Sig 220 with almost zero leading and great accuracy.

HORNET
04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Slug your barrels, cylinder throats, and check actual sizer diameters to make sure that they're right. Then try a different lube. LLA has some limitations and doesn't ALWAYS work for every application, despite the claims. Good luck and have fun at this.

AKsoldier
04-22-2010, 02:11 PM
the para commemerative pistol shoots cast very very well. I too have one (delta 1/504 ) and its a heck of a bargain with 5 mags! hope you enjoy!

That's the one I'm waiting on, good to know!

Chris in VA - Thanks for the tip. I'll air drop the next batch. I suppose I could use the others in the 460.