PDA

View Full Version : Dies to use in RCBS Sizer?

prickett
04-21-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm about to buy an RCBS Lube-a-matic 2. I see that it can use both RCBS and Lyman top punches and dies. Seeing as how I'll have to buy a bunch of dies, I'd like to keep expenses down (read: buy Lyman). There are very few reviews of the Lyman dies on Midway's site, and even fewer talking about cross company compatibility. I cast LEE 358-125-RF and 452-200-RF bullets.

My questions are:

1) Have you had success (or problems) when using Lyman dies/punches in an RCBS Lube-a-matic?

2) Are there any advantages to one brand over the other (assuming the Lymans work ok in the RCBS)?

3) What top punches do you use for the two bullets mentioned?

TIA

beagle
04-21-2010, 09:18 PM
It's my preference to use Lyman dies in the RCBS sizer. Over the years, I have found I have less trouble with the Lymans than RCBS and they're usually closer to the stamped size.

Of course, you can't trust any sizer. You have to size and measure and then either live with what you have or have it lapped out if it's undersize.

Just my experiences.

The TPs of either brand work well./beagle

RayinNH
04-21-2010, 10:38 PM
prickett, the top punches you need are:
358-125-RF, Lyman #429 or RCBS #429
452-200-RF, Lyman #649

Mk42gunner
04-22-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm with Beagle on this one. I have less problems with excessive lube leakage with Lyman dies than with RCBS in my Lubamatic. Plus they are usually cheaper when buying new.

Robert

That'll Do
04-22-2010, 06:41 AM
I use RCBS dies in my LAM-2, and I haven't had any trouble with lube leakage or incorrect sizing.

winelover
04-22-2010, 07:26 AM
My vote is for the RCBS, if the supplier has them in stock. If not, I will opt for the Lyman.

Winelover

DLCTEX
04-22-2010, 09:34 AM
I don't find much difference between brands and use them interchangably. I used to buy used dies off Ebay cheap, but they have gotten to be higher than retail in many instances, plus I have had to smooth up some used dies. I haven't figured out how some people can scratch up a die so badly.

HORNET
04-22-2010, 12:16 PM
I use both in an LAM2 without any problems so far. The different lube hole pattern on the Lyman's seem to provide more flexibility for different boolit lengths and lube groove patterns. The Lyman's seem to be slightly softer, if that matters. Actual size seems to be equally "Iffy" on both. Buckshot makes a version of them in custom sizes for a very reasonable price.

Changeling
04-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Veral Smith of LBT bullet molds recommends RCBS over Lyman in his book on cast bullets. That was good enough for me.