PDA

View Full Version : Primer Prices

BOOM BOOM
07-19-2006, 02:51 PM
HI,
GOT word that primer prices are going up.
So last week , before i had my 2nd carpal tunnel operation I ordered 5000 spp.
Am thinking I should the same for lpp & lrp too.
Anyone ealse hear the same?

Beau Cassidy
07-19-2006, 04:31 PM
Nope but I can imagine everyone is going to use the higher gas prices as an excuse to start raising prices.

mike in co
07-19-2006, 04:43 PM
5000...thats only one sleeve...thought you were gonna order some primers......more like how many sleeves are you gonna order ??

now 5 sleeves of one size is a good order.

large amounts of primers means load development is consistant, not marred by a change in primer lot.

imashooter2
07-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Primer prices are already up. About $15-20 a sleeve here in PA.

Bucks Owin
07-19-2006, 05:44 PM
I heard ALL reloading stuff is going up because of the price of copper.....

(What that has to do with powder etc I don't know!)

Dennis

swheeler
07-19-2006, 08:56 PM
They took a hike hear already 99.50 a sleeve , 19.90 a brick

Buckshot
07-20-2006, 02:18 AM
..............Most all places have taken price increases. We actually have a good bit of inflation going on too but the government is doing well in keeping it hidden.

So far as oil price increases, that has an effect from the material coming out of the ground or the chemical plant, to the manufacturer, distribution, warehousing, and the retailer and then shipping to you.

ALL carriers had gone to adding fuel surcharges to their basic transportation rates a couple years ago due to the volatility of fuel prices. Rather then spend the money to print out and distribute new rate tarriffs everytime fuel goes up or down, carriers electricly notify their customers of surcharge increases or decreases.

The last rate hikes I'm aware of happened a couple years ago when the economy appeared to be turning around. Since then carriers have instituted the fuel surcharge system. And that is ALL transportation from the USPS to UPS. Of course material costs have really taken a jump and commodities like steel and aluminum really took off but seem to be settling. Scrap steel I know went from about $80/ton to almost $200/ton.

Speaking of primers, when there was that big scare many years ago where it was feared that reloading components were going to be taxed and reloading severely regulated. Primers disappeared from the shelves due to hoarding. I don't recall how many I had at the times but it was a bit more then 5,000 lrp, which makes up 90% of my shooting.

I had enough to carry me through and some left over, but I swore I'd never worry about that again. At every one of the big Los Angeles gunshows I'd buy 10-15 thousand primers. I recall at that time once the pipeline was re-filled that Winchester primers were being sold at $73 / 5000 sales tax included. I usually always went with someone and on the way out we'd buy our primers, humping 15 to 20 K apiece out through the parking lot.

Since I now work weekends and have for quite some time, the last gunshow primers were bought by a friend for me and IIRC they were $78 + tax. Right now I have 8 sleeves of Winchester LRP left. The next I open is dated April 1999.

http://www.fototime.com/3DC94686D080C59/standard.jpg

On the bottom right hand side of the cubboard behind those two 100 round ammo boxes, was a double stack of 10 sleeves, when the photo was taken. Earlier this year Graf & Son was carrying PMC brand primers, which were made in Russia. In a sales flier they listed them as being closed out at $56/5000 for LRP. I made a post here about them.

I called Graf and asked why they were not going to carry them any longer. I was told that it was because the plant making them had found out that they could sell them for a lot more money. They said they weren't going to carry them because they'd be about as expensive as domestic primers, which already sold well, and they couldn't see adding the PMC inventory at the same price.

He said they were excellent primers and that word they had were that they were exceptionally consistant. At that price I'd already figured I could afford to get 5 sleeves of'em as Graf paid the shipping, but I'd have to pay the $20 haz mat. I don't recall how I worded it but the guy wasn't sure how many they could ship for one haz mat. I was wanting 5 sleeves but they shipped me (and billed) for 7 sleeves! I think he thought I said to ship as many as one haz mat charge would cover :-) So I got 35,000 of'em. Oh well, my discretionary cash was shot for the next couple months anyway.

BTW, those primers came packed as Winchesters do in the 1K boxes and 5K sleeves. Plus each sleeve is in a heavy vacumn sealed plastic bag. Maybe that was due to trans-oceanic shipping? I opened one and tried a few primers and they're a bit tighter in the primer pockets then the Winchester primers. I figure at the present rate of consumption I have about 12 years worth on hand.

...............Buckshot

BOOM BOOM
07-22-2006, 03:00 PM
HI,
Well my supplier is a commercial reloader, and after doing a invatory on my primer supply, as well as seeing how many some of you keep on hand , I placed a order for 5000 LPP & 5000 LRP.
The fact that I don't make powder or primers, but cast & scrounge brass enough to more than replace any cracked ones makes it seem common sence.

Ken O
07-22-2006, 09:59 PM
I shoot the Nationals at Camp Perry every year, and try to stock up on supplies there. 8lb jugs of the big name powders are about $108, primers are $75 a sleave no Haz-Mat or shipping, but there is Ohio tax. On other forums, people that are there now say the prices are the same. I will head there in a few days. If you are in the driving area of Camp Perry, which is real close to Cedar Point in Ohio, it would be worth the trip. It is also the location of the CMP's North Store, which sells the surplus M1 Garands, Springfields, Krags etc.

RayinNH
07-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Buckshot, from that photo you seem better stocked than most of the local gun shops around here...Ray

PatMarlin
07-23-2006, 11:27 PM
Oooooooooh CMP store.. I need to go there.. :mrgreen:

RugerFan
07-23-2006, 11:39 PM
Oooooooooh CMP store.. I need to go there.. :mrgreen:

Pat- You and me both. I didn't even know there was a store(s). Check out the link below. I can feel my checkbook getting thinner already.

http://www.odcmp.com/Photos/ALStoreOpen2/index.html

PatMarlin
07-24-2006, 12:06 AM
I knew about it, but I shoulda bought back when Winchesters were plentiful.. :roll:

Frank46
07-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Haven't bought primers in a while but the dealer I get my brass at gunshows has raised his price on R-P 8mm about $1.10 per bag of fifty. I have a bunch of virgin 30-06 deprimed brass coming in hopefully this week. Never thought I'd run low on '06 military brass, but there it is. Frank

Bad Ass Wallace
07-24-2006, 06:13 AM
Gents,
Thank the Lord you don't live on the other side of the world where our "pacific peso" $AU is worth only US75c :( :(

Black powder - $69/kg
Smokeless - $37/500g
Primers - $180/5000
Quality Projectiles - $45-60/100
Cases - 45/70 Rem $92.00/100

You must have a shooters licence to purchase, and any quantity over 1000 primers or 2 lbs powder is notifable to the authorities (as a possible terrorist):roll:

Paul Jones mould with handles listed at $US196 was $AU378 landed here

Four Fingers of Death
07-24-2006, 08:36 AM
1KG = 2.2lb
500g = 1.1lb

This is why I don't visit the bulk powder page, I knew I was going to get sick looking at your prices.

Nowadays dealers and smaller stores are having trouble getting more than 10kg (22lb) of powder and if you have more than that either as a dealer or shooter you have to have special storage, permits, etc. Everyone pretty much ignores it, but dealers are having trouble placing orders for any quantity. Its a bit silly, but the open cut mine down the road keeps a reserve of blasting tnt or whatever they use on a semi trailer parked in the middle of a paddock until they use it. They just wheel the trailer away and reload it when they get down a bit. It holds 30ton, which is a bit over the 10kg, 22lb limit. Mick.

Buckshot
07-24-2006, 10:47 AM
..................Well both you guys would be welcome to come to the U.S. Best would be to go to Mexico first and THEN come over the border. That's the easiest :-)

One of my shooting buddies is big time Cowboy shooter and a member of the largest posse in SASS, The Cajon Cowboys. Every year they have a week long shoot before the nationals so the folks coming from Aus-NZ can get tuned up and the bugs worked out.

Last year friend Larry had one of the Australian guys come to our range on a Tuesday to met us and do some shooting. He owns a business in Australia and was in the process of imigrating to the U.S. mostly so that he and his wife could persue their shooting hobby. His business was in the process of being sold. The story he told of the difficulties involved in immigrating were unbelievable.

Here's a fine man and his wife, business owners to boot, and both would be a positive asset to have in this country. Yet they're being run through a shredder. On the otherhand you have people here ILLEGALLY and the same government is wanting to grant 11 million of'em amnesty!

I just don't get it.

...............Buckshot

NVcurmudgeon
07-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Good grief! I see that some of you think little of buying multiple 5,000 primer sleeves. If my math is correct, 5,000 LR primers will burn 11.4 lbs. of 2400 in 16.0 gr. charges in '06 size cases, or 39.3 lbs. of IMR 4350 in 55.0 gr. charges when loading full-power jacketed bullets. Primers are relatively cheap and easy to store, but where am I going to keep all that powder, even the more affordable surplus variety? I thought I was among the "home arsenal" crowd, notorious in our media, at an ammunition consumption level of 3000-4000 centerfires a year. Now I find that I am barely keeping in practice. I do get a little nervous when total primers on hand dips below 10,000, but that's all types combined. Yes, primers are going up, but what isn't? If I start investing much of the family funds in primers, my wife will want to fill the garage with diet Coke.

If it gets down to where we can't buy primers, there will be worse problems in this former republic than component supplies.

9.3X62AL
07-24-2006, 12:20 PM
If it gets down to where we can't buy primers, there will be worse problems in this former republic than component supplies.

That's pretty much my take on the matter, too. I hit a Mother Lode of CCI #300 LP primers some years ago, and still have about 9K of the 25K I got at that time. Otherwise, my supplies run about 2K-5K of all other types each. I only wish I could shoot well enough to be able to discern lot-to-lot variations, Mike! :-)

twotrees
07-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Buckshot,

My WIFE(!) is Auzzie and we have paid out to date over $5000, to an attorney and the US Gov. We had our Interview last June and it will be 1 more year before we get the privlege of giving them $850 dollars for another interview. All this to see if she can stay.

We were told It didn't matter that we were married, the best thing for her to do would be to go back to Oz and apply for a fiancée visa, and then wait ill they processed that (Up to 5 years). This is how We (The US gov.) treats our allies in Iraq.

She was told by friends to go to Mexico and sneek across and never tell any one how she got here. But that was not an option. She has a good job and as soon as she got here she got a Tax Payer I.D. #. That was a major mistake. Now that she has a SSN, trying to get that TPI # removed from her records has been a nighmare.

She was told by our Attorney, to stay away from guns, until she received Full approvial. Thats hard, As I have always been a shooter, and have all my casting/reloading/gun safe in the house. I have been a citizen since birth, and the Gov has more data on me than it needs (Job in USAF).

If it had not been for a former student and his influnce, the attorney's fees could have been over $50K by now. And we are going to give the "Guest Workers" a fast track to citizenship !!!!!!!

Rant Mode Off,

TwoTrees

swheeler
07-24-2006, 09:40 PM
2Trees; have her lay out and suntan alot, and learn Spanish while tanning. The paper work will go right thru- no problema ! You savy hombre?

Four Fingers of Death
07-25-2006, 03:16 AM
They will bend the rules for them so they can just do the $hitty jobs.

NVcurmudgeon
07-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Yep, Democrats are after cheap votes, and Republicans favor cheap labor. Mark Twain had it right, "It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress."

Buckshot
07-25-2006, 06:55 PM
............Remembering this today while at the range, I asked my friend Larry about the guy. His name is Damien. He said the deal is now that Australia won't let him go because he'd be taking too much money, HA! How bout THAT stuff eh? Too much money. I guess maybe he should find out what's just enough and give the rest away or something?

Of course, when he got here I'm sure Uncle Suger would fleece him down to the poverty level in 2 shakes.

..............Buckshot

Muskrat Mike
07-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi, I'm relatively new to bullet casting. 1 year of learning under my belt and have been lurking and learning from this forum and the shooter's forum. I couldn't help myself when I read your post I had to respond. Have you tried jerking your Representive's chain ? He or she might actually respond and try to help you with the political winds blowing the way they are now. Unfortunately I don't have much faith in our representives actually knowing what it's like in your and my real world but I think lately they have been getting a little education from their constituents. Maybe the timing is right for them to show they are listening and maybe it could help you. Just my two cents.
Mike B.

ron brooks
08-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Actually the best way to handle it would be for your freind o make some nice sized donations to the Represenative's campagin fund. Cash is the universal language. :-D