PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Take American Handgunner?

fourarmed
07-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Somebody told me that there was an article recently about Armand Swenson, but the issue now on the newsstand doesn't have it. I would really like to read that article, as I have a gun he built. Can somebody point me to the article online, or scan it or send me a photocopy of it? I would be obliged.

Shepherd2
07-19-2006, 03:26 PM
The article is in the September/October issue that I got in the mail Saturday. I checked www.americanhandgunner.com to see if they had it online. Only saw a reference to it being in the above issue which goes on the newsstands July 25th.

I'm not smart enough to scan it for you but someone should come along who can. If not PM me and I'll photocopy the article for you. I suggest you get a copy of the magazine. Lots of color pictures of his work. Beautiful.

Consider youself fortunate to have one of his guns.

fourarmed
07-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Oh, great. I was afraid it had been in the May/June issue, and I had missed it. I will watch the newsstands closely. Thanks for the info.

My pistol is a 1950-production lightweight Commander with the Gardena address on it. I don't know just when he started working on 1911s, but this must be a fairly early example.

Poohgyrr
08-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Congrats on the pistol. Some real history there, and something to be proud of.

Lloyd Smale
08-05-2006, 05:47 PM
you have a real fine piece there!!

fourarmed
08-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies and PMs. I saw the article. It was basically a slightly edited version of the one at
http://www.coolgunsite.com/comm_pistols/custom/swenson/swenson.htm

I was hoping the article in AH would have some more history on Swenson, like when he started, when he moved from Gardena to Fallbrook, how common the Commander jobs were, etc. I guess that article is still waiting to be written. I have heard that his widow still has all his shop records.

I was looking for a LW Commander when I found this one at a small gunshow. The seller was disposing of his late Brother-in-law's collection for the widow, and I think he had no idea of the values of the guns beyond what he got from the Blue Book. All were customized to some extent or another. I had a hard time maintaining my cool when I saw the Swenson stamp. I went to the car where Mrs. Fourarmed was waiting, and told her what I had found. Like all good wives, she knows when her husband is truly obsessed with something. She said "It's only money. You know how to make more."

I went back in, and to my horror, somebody else was looking at it. Turned out he was just fingering everything. He moved on and I moved in. My idea was to buy a LWC to carry. Now I'm looking for another one, as everybody says this one is too valuable for such shenanigans.

Dutch4122
08-07-2006, 02:10 PM
I remember a late 70's article on Swenson in Guns & Ammo. For some reason 1978 sticks out as the year. Seems I remember as well that article was a little more in depth than the current AH article. The cover of the issue had two of his 1911's on the cover; both were blued and one was a standard 5" and the other was a long slide. If you can find a source for this issue (I know it's a long shot) it might be worth the effort.

fourarmed
08-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks Matt. When the weather cools off, I will hit the attic and start digging. I should have that issue.