PDA

View Full Version : Woo Hoo...FLUX,FLUX,FLUX!

sniper
04-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Just don't try saying that fast three times! :shock:

I'm having two trees taken out of my yard, a maple and a pine. Me neighbor had a cherry tree removed, and I got about 1/4 of a kitchen bag of clean, cherry sawdust from his, and will get the maple sawdust this afternoon.

I will let it dry really well in my shed, to avoid a visit from the Tinsel Fairy (one was quite enough, thank you very much!) until I use the last of the P.Marlin Magic Mixture, which will be awhile. There's lots of pine sawdust, but somewhere, I read that it has too much pitch, not good for fluxing, so won't gather any.

I got some funy looks from the tree people when I explained what I wanted it for, but they agreed. Soooo....Not going to go into competition with PatMarlin, whose flux works a treat, but dry mixed Cherry/Maple should do the job, and I don't have to constantly put out flaming paint mixing paddles! :mrgreen:

Trey45
04-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Flux or pancake syrup, cherry maple sounds GOOD to me!

cbrick
04-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Sniper, before you get too excited read this thread . . . http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81879

Your new found treasure will make excellent flux but excellent ventilation and common sense are highly recommended.

Rick

leftiye
04-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Pine pitch is a very good flux by itself. Don't waste too much time avoiding it in your shavings! I have used rosin (which is just powdered pitch). Works just fine. Strearic acid is great too.

D Crockett
04-21-2010, 07:35 PM
I went hunting one year in a planted pine forest and noticed that there were a lot of marble size pitch globs on a lot of the trees so I gathered about 2/3 of a 5 gal bucket of them used that bucket of pitch for years when melting ww fort flux I have uset pine sticks to D Crockett

HangFireW8
04-21-2010, 08:40 PM
I will let it dry really well in my shed, to avoid a visit from the Tinsel Fairy (one was quite enough, thank you very much!)

If you want to speed things up (and find a bargain), go to a local craft store and get the big can of flower drying desiccant for $12. Put it in a cotton bag and toss it in a sealed container with your sawdust.

Once you are done drying the sawdust, dry it in the oven and put it in your gun safe. I use mayonnaise jars and ventilate the tops and put a little thin cloth in the lid to prevent spillage.

Why pay $8 for a couple of ounces of desiccant when you can get a gallon for a few bucks more?

-HF

steg
04-21-2010, 11:05 PM
HangFire, Borax will work the same way, the 20 mule team stuff.............steg

sniper
04-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Your new found treasure will make excellent flux but excellent ventilation and common sense are highly recommended.Rick

Thanx, Rick. ALWAYS! I cast on my patio. (No exceptions, lest SWMBO chastise me severely about the head and shoulders, all the while assaulting my ears with shrill expressions of disapproval!):oops:

I don't make it a habit of breathing the smoke, although I do find it difficult to stay out of it, (you know, the old saw about the smoke of the campfire always being attracted to the best-looking dude in the group!):mrgreen:

Cherry trees toxic? Hmmmm....maybe that's why I get a case of Rocky Mountain Quick-Step when I eat too many at harvest time!

I wonder if the domesticated cherry is any different than the wild variety? Probably not, as regards toxicity. Fortunately, the mix will be probably 25% Cherry, 75% maple, so as you say, with reasonable precautions and good ventilation, all should be well.

Hangfire: Thanks for the info. That is what I like about the forum..there is always something new to consider.

DCrockett: Unfortunately, it's too late for the pine sawdust, but I'll keep that in mind. Should I ever need any more sawdust, a cabinet shop should be a good source.