PDA

View Full Version : 1st Mosin Nagant

DIRT Farmer
04-20-2010, 10:42 PM
A young guy came up today, needed money and wanted to sell his rifle. The unearned tax credit wasn't enough to get by and the hope and change wasn't working for his family. His asking was less than weekly at church so I bought it with out looking at the bore.

On inspection, I found the bolt # dosn't match the receiver, The bore has a funny blue green color, rifling appears to be strong. Rifling is sharp and full appearing at the muzzle. Dated 1954.

The barrel was washed with Bears solution, still funny colored and is soaking with Butches Bore shine.

I do not have any brass but have an assortment of moulds including the Lyman 314-299 that casts as droped WW .313 and an anchent Lovern type 200grn that drops at .315.

From posts would my starter loads be in the 30-06 / 303 Brit class?
Will know more when clean.

mike in co
04-20-2010, 11:18 PM
A young guy came up today, needed money and wanted to sell his rifle. The unearned tax credit wasn't enough to get by and the hope and change wasn't working for his family. His asking was less than weekly at church so I bought it with out looking at the bore.

On inspection, I found the bolt # dosn't match the receiver, The bore has a funny blue green color, rifling appears to be strong. Rifling is sharp and full appearing at the muzzle. Dated 1954.

The barrel was washed with Bears solution, still funny colored and is soaking with Butches Bore shine.

I do not have any brass but have an assortment of moulds including the Lyman 314-299 that casts as droped WW .313 and an anchent Lovern type 200grn that drops at .315.

From posts would my starter loads be in the 30-06 / 303 Brit class?
Will know more when clean.

maybe start with 308....but yes you can get up to 30'06 with cast.

low velocity (1600) with the 200 class work well for me

dualsport
04-21-2010, 04:06 AM
Sounds like some pretty heavy copper fouling. I've had good luck with that using Sweet's 7.62 copper solvent. The MNs I've had took months to get clean, that crud just keeps coming out, but even the worst one has a shiny bore now, more or less.

NickSS
04-21-2010, 05:36 AM
I have a 91/30 MN that I have had for 5 years and I have put about 600 rounds through of both surplus jacketed ammo and my own cast bullets. To date in spite of lots of cleaning the bore is not shinny but it does shoot well.

rhbrink
04-21-2010, 06:32 AM
New to the Mosin myself from what I have seen some of these rifles can shoot very well. The trick I think is to get a bullet to fit as some bores can be quiet large like .305 bore and .314 groove and hear of larger. I've shot some Hornady .312 condom bullets in mine and its easy to shoot 2" groups at 100 yards with the original sights sometimes smaller I would guess with a scope or at least better iron sights I could improve on that. I don't yet have a cast boolt big enough to work but have been playing around with paper patch and think that I'm sneaking up on a combination that will work.

It took me several days of Sweet's 7.62 to clean the junk out of my barrel that's after a week or two of regular cleaning so be prepared, lots of patches and solvent. I'll swear that some of the stuff that came out of that barrel has been there since 1937. The more I cleaned the bigger the bore got too, plus some pits showed up that I didn't think was there.

Good luck and have fun!

MISSOURIANS for MOSINS

DIRT Farmer
04-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the replies, Patches are green this AM. There may be steel in there yet.

DIRT Farmer
04-21-2010, 09:27 AM
So what does old corrosive priming look like other than rust? The color looks like corroded brass.

Faret
04-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Try 10% janitorial ammonia from ace hardware for the copper.

DIRT Farmer
04-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Patches are fairly clean, some darkness no green so I checked the bore and throat. Throat to lede is .315. Through the barrel is .304 /.314. The barrel was lightly oiled and I had to tap the bullet all the way. No loose spots to the muzzle. Now if I could find some brass other than Norma or Laupa. Gun show this weekend, who knows what will show up

mike in co
04-21-2010, 10:15 PM
TWO OPTIONS:
BUY wolf gold or similar in boxer primed brass. shoot and reuse.

wait till i get some more winchester(s&b) brass in and i will post it for sale.

mike in co

EMC45
04-22-2010, 06:02 AM
You will soon have more than one.......

rhbrink
04-22-2010, 06:30 AM
Buffalo Arms had Winchester brass, primed at &49 / 100.

Beekeeper
04-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Try Graf and Sons .
They had 7.62x54R brass (Privi) for sale some time ago and I bought 400 rounds.

Jim

DIRT Farmer
04-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Went to the gun show today. One dealer had reloadable 7.62 x54 loads, head stamp Graffs, no brass. I bought twenty rounds. When I empty them I will start with cast.

Not much of interest in mill surplus, A few 303s 1 mosin one K31 listed for 600.00 a # 5 RB 7mm at 900.00 ( didn't even pick it up) Few primers. Mainly pump shotguns and ARs

milsurp mike
04-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Fun Rifles to Load for and Shoot.I have several that I have never got to come clean but they fire fine.Mosins are the funniest To reload for because what works for 1 may not work for others.I have a Bunch of them and the bores range from .308 to .314.Once you get a load figured out its time to get another.If you arent careful you will wind up with the terrible disease called Mosinitus and it is not curable.Lots of us have it and the only relief you will find is temporary and it requires buying more Mosins.The more you get the more you want.To save your self all this trouble you can just sell it to me so I can get some relief, Mike

Bret4207
04-28-2010, 07:49 AM
A young guy came up today, needed money and wanted to sell his rifle. The unearned tax credit wasn't enough to get by and the hope and change wasn't working for his family.

[smilie=l:[smilie=l:[smilie=l: