PDA

View Full Version : slow twist rate/ 8 mm maximum design

wmitty
04-20-2010, 07:06 PM
I now have Oldfeller's 8mm mold from Midsouth and plan to attempt to use it in a

.32 Win Special by shortening the original length of 1.21" by placing a tapered plug

of aluminum in the nose cavities before casting. The Marlin's 16" twist should begin

to stabilize the c.boo at somewhere around 0.9" to 1.0" ( I hope.) This being based

on the various twist rate calculators I've plugged the data into. This will result in a

near cylindrical projectile with close to full diameter meplat, which is what I am

looking for. Realizing there is nothing new under the sun, and not wanting to

re-invent the wheel, has anyone tried a similiar experiment?

HORNET
04-20-2010, 07:40 PM
I recall a similar idea in an article in "The Art of Bullet Casting" where the author used that technique to make some short .30 cal wadcutters for small game hunting. It fit his needs as far as accuracy needs. Can't recall the author or title offhand.
You could try molding some "as is" and shorten them with a hacksaw to see how short they need to be to go stable. I'd expect a weight around 200 grains or so (as a full wadcutter) would be about max for stability, even at full house loading levels. Maybe a little more (220 gr), but probably not a whole lot.

wmitty
04-20-2010, 10:25 PM
The boolet cast of wheel weights weighed in at 246 gr. I am looking for 210gr. or

there abouts to use on the local feral hogs. Ranges are rather short, with 50 yards

being about the longest I've seen, so the .32 ought to thump 'em pretty hard.

dualsport
04-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Maybe try a few as is just for the heck of it. You never know. I've gotten decent accuracy from bullets that were too long for the twist, namely in a .243. Not as good as it could be, but plenty good for close in hogs. If I'm understanding the concept right, it helps to put some speed on it when using a too long bullet.

45 2.1
04-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Tried extensively via the Lyman 311440 design. Completely stable and accurate to the 200 yds tried.