PDA

View Full Version : E. R. Shaw barrels and re-barreling services

Brother_Love
04-20-2010, 06:22 PM
I have a Sears/ J C Higgins model 50 built on an FN action. I want to have it re-barreled to 35 Whelen.

Anyone ever used their services? If so, would you recommend them? Any other company suggestions for these services?

Thanks, Malcolm

Ben
04-20-2010, 06:28 PM
I have a friend that had a 1903 Springfield 30 - 06 sporter re-barrreled to 35 Ack Whelen , 40 degree improved by ER Shaw.

It will drive tacks !

Ben

mike in co
04-20-2010, 06:33 PM
go buy a mauser 8mm action and have them rebbl it...save the sears fn......

Brother_Love
04-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Ben,
Thanks. That's good to hear.

Mike, The FN is my #4 '06, I might as well use it.

Malcolm

Ben
04-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Malcolm :

A PM headed your way.

Guesser
04-20-2010, 09:16 PM
I've used Shaw barrels and had very good service. I've never used their gun smithing service, too many good smiths closer.

StrawHat
04-21-2010, 06:53 AM
In the 70s I had Shaw rework a Siamese Mauser to 45-70 for me. rebarrel, open the rails and a couple other things. It worked into a nice rifle but I eventually sold it to finance something else. Decent barrels and decent gunsmithing. Nothing fancy.

As with any gunsmith, take the time to write out everything you want done by them. And what you don't want them to do. I remember on the 70s Siamese, they replaced the Mauser safety with some aftermarket one and beveled the follower to allow it to close on an empty chamber. I wanted the Mauser style safety and hold open feature. Not a big deal but not something I wanted.

Would I use them again? Yes. A while ago, I found another Siamese Mauser action with a Shaw barrel and altered by Shaw to take the 45-70. This one I will keep.

quack1
04-21-2010, 07:47 AM
I currently have 4 Shaw barrels on hunting rifles .22 to 45 cal., no complaints with any of them, they will all shoot better than I can hold with a sling. I shoot cast in all of them too. If I was building a super accurate bench gun, I'd use a better/more expensive barrel, but for hunting they are very good. Don't know about their turn-sround time for work, they are on the other side of Pittsburgh from me so I just drove down and dropped off my actions.

high standard 40
04-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Several years ago I had Shaw rebarrel a Rem 700 with a 24" varmint taper in 7-08 Rem. It remains one of the most accurate rifles I own. I also had them barrel a 98 Mauser in 257 Ackley. That rifle would shoot cloverleafs all day long.

Brother_Love
04-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Ben,
I am going to go the re-bore route on this one. I have found several JES auctions on gunbroker for .35 calibers. I could get one of those and have another rifle for the safe:-P.
Malcolm

Ben
04-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Ben,
I am going to go the re-bore route on this one. I have found several JES auctions on gunbroker for .35 calibers. I could get one of those and have another rifle for the safe:-P.
Malcolm

You won't go wrong with Jesse. He does deep , 3 groove barrels. Ideal for cast bullets ( as you can see from the group that I sent you ! )

Ben

fourarmed
04-21-2010, 12:53 PM
I had a Mauser rebarreled to .257 Roberts by Shaw. Their guy who (at that time) was their email front man was extremely helpful. The accuracy of the finished product is quite satisfactory, and it looks good. They didn't like the bolt that was in the original (Gew. 98 that had been sporterized, and not too well) so I bought a surplus straight-handle bolt and had it sent directly to them. My only complaint is with their bolt handle forging. It sticks out just a little too much to clear the lowest mounting of a scope with a large ocular bell. A minor carp. They do good work.

Brother_Love
04-22-2010, 01:58 PM
I am holding up on my re-boring of this rifle until I solve the feeding problem. I have attached a couple of photos and I would apprecaite suggestions for a fix. The bullet that hangs up on the barrel is the Lyman 311041, the spitzers shown in the photo work fine.
Thanks, Malcolm
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/revrun4/1a_FN_2.jpg
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q225/revrun4/1a_FN_1.jpg

Thin Man
05-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Brother Love,
You are about to start a project I completed about 20 years ago. Same starting rifle, same caliber choice, same barrel maker. I asked Shaw to install their barrel, 22 inch, finish with a matt texture. Had to open the barrel channel in the forearm as the '06 barrel (and channel) were thinner than the Whelen barrel. I started working with the Hornady 250 gr. RN bullet, made a few passes at working up boolit loads but only recently acquired respectable molds to continue this last search. I still have and can provide load data for the heavy Hornady bullet loads if that is your goal. When Remington came out with the Whelen as a factory loading several years after I completed this project, their 250 gr. ammo ran about 100 fps slower than the accuracy load my rifle loves. If you need load data, send me a PM and it will be coming your way.
Thin Man

JesterGrin_1
05-15-2010, 05:24 AM
I am working on a 35 Whelen project on a Marlin XL-7 Action and should be completed by the end of June. I got lucky with the barrel as it is a A&B barrel from Midway but it was made by Shaw for Midway. 24in Long with a 1-14 Twist Mag Contour.

I was also planning to use the Hornady 250Gr Spire Point to break in the barrel and maybe for this years hunting then onto cast boolit loads with the NOE 358009.

The powders I have on hand are IMR-3031, IMR-4350,H-322,RL-15. :)

Three44s
06-02-2010, 01:30 AM
I purchased a ER Shaw barrel used off of the Savage Shooter's forum in .338-06 for a Savage long action.

Right off the bat I had a load shoot into .780" with three shots at 70 yds. (the 250 gr. Hdy round nose).

I recently began working with cast GC'ed boolits.

Yesterday, I shot a 5 shot group with 4 rounds into .830" (the five shot ran about 2.6", probably me ........ ) all at 100 yds.

I would not hesitate to buy another "Shaw" barrel!!!

Three 44s

JesterGrin_1
06-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Thank You Three44s. I looked at the 338-06 but with all the good things I read about the old 35 Whelen and cast I went that rout. I hope it shoots as great as I think it will. As a plus side BOYDS stocks will have a short run of there Thumb hole stocks and there classic design for the Marlin XL-7 line. So I may pick one of there Thumb Hole stocks up as well.

Thecyberguy
06-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Jester,
Was that a Savage barrel?
Was it a match or did you have to alter anything?

You will have to post some photos after you get that stock...;-)

JesterGrin_1
06-10-2010, 01:12 AM
Jester,
Was that a Savage barrel?
Yes it is a Savage Barrel. Through Midway the A&B that was made by Shaw.

Was it a match or did you have to alter anything? I was informed that the back of the barrel would have to be cut a bit to accept the larger lugs of the Marlin of about .015 more or less.Also the channel will have to be opened up a bit since it is a Magnum contour and to free float.

You will have to post some photos after you get that stock...;-)

I will for sure post photos of the finished rifle. :)