PDA

View Full Version : How much lube is really enough?

Rex
04-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Looking at my moulds the other day and noticed the size of the lube groove on the 358156. It doesn't carry a fraction of the lube that the 358665 does or the Lee RNF. Yet it seems to be plenty of lube to get the job done. Apparently there is no such thing as over-lubing.
Rex

Ben
04-20-2010, 10:46 AM
I've seen some good groups fired with .30 cal. rifle bullets that have lube in the area where the g/c attaches and the lube groove is EMPTY.

All depends on the barrel, bullet alloy and bullet fit and of course the quality of the lube.

felix
04-20-2010, 10:56 AM
True. The question remains, however, on the type (quality) of lube. Different lubes for different applications is paramount. Too much of one does not hurt anything, provided the lube does not change characteristics over time that is sufficient for the application, including storage before and after use. Therefore, the lube must be adjusted to maintain accuracy over an outing. A hunting lube would be mucho different than a BR lube, i.e., a cold start versus a warm start. In simple words, point of aim versus grouping ability. ... felix