PDA

View Full Version : Removing rust from tight spots?

guninhand
04-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Hi folks,
My 1941 Johnson has this light orange rust inside the magazine area. I have tried to remove it by attaching sandpaper and steel wool to flexible strips of plastic but so far methods of attaching abrasives have failed and even if they has stayed on, there are spots I can't reach. Dismantling the gun further than this is way beyond my ken. I've looked at a chemical called "Rust Stop" and it left a white powder on a test piece. Any suggestons?

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff170/guninhand_2007/johnson.jpg

cheese1566
04-20-2010, 10:08 AM
I just had good luck with brake fluid and 0000 steel wool to clean up an old MEC shotgun reloader. It left the bluing but gently dissolved the surface rust with a little rubbing.
I had the luxury of being able to completely wipe everything down and re-oil it when done. Not sure what brake fluid leaching into other stuff would do short or long term...hopefully someone chimes in if this is a good/bad idea in your scenario.:idea:

sheepdog
04-20-2010, 11:12 AM
If you got a gun in the white, no blue left, CLR will remove rust without steel wool or even scrubbing. It will eat bluing off though so only guns in the white. In this case you can probably get away with brushing it on with a small painters brush or folded papertowl inserted carefully. put it all thick, let it sit for a couple hours then wipe it clean.

guninhand
04-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks cheese and sheepdog. If I use the CLR, then hopefully I could flush out any residue it might leave with compressed brake cleaner. I'll try it in an easier to get spot first.

Molly
04-21-2010, 07:03 PM
If the original finish isn't an issue, try some dilute phosphoric acid. Otherwise known as naval jelly. Removes rust almost instantly, rinses freely, and leaves no residue. Will remove blueing just as fast.

Non-toxic too: Most soda pop is also a VERY dilute phosphoric acid. Too weak to work well in this case though.

Hawken
04-21-2010, 07:45 PM
Hemostats work for holding cleaning material.

dominicfortune00
04-25-2010, 09:11 PM
If you keep the area wet with Ballistol, it will dissolve the rust and remove it.

It doesn't affect bluing either.

When I buy a rusty iron boolit mold, I soak it in Ballistol and it removes the rust and makes the mold look like almost new.

MtGun44
04-26-2010, 01:30 AM
+1 on what Molly said.

Bill