PDA

View Full Version : Paper patching - tape...

KirbyAUS
07-19-2006, 02:49 AM
Hi,
has anyone used plumbers tape instead of patching paper with any success ?
Any limitation on how thick you can go with paper or plastic ?

TIA

Kirby

Cayoot
07-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Excellent Question...I've been wondering about using teflon tape myself.

I'm hoping to see some great answers here!

405 WCF
07-19-2006, 11:38 AM
I have patched some of the undersized Ranch Dog bullets that I casted up when I recived the new 6-cavity mold.
The bullets are from .4275 - 429.
I just put on a gc and pushed them trough my .432 sizer die.
After that I wrapped them with, well I dont know how to spell or say it in your language, but I patched them with the tape that you use to cover parts that you dont want to paint when you put new paint on a car.
Size is now .4325 - 4335.

I will go to the range this evening and give them a try.

swheeler
07-19-2006, 11:46 AM
405-Us yanks call that stuff "masking tape"

Bad Flynch
07-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Anecdotal reports do not favor the use if Teflon plumber's tape. I have not tried it myself.

kodiak1
07-19-2006, 10:31 PM
I would almost suspect that the teflon tape would stick or melt in your barrel. It is made in that form as a sealant and not a lubricant is it not?
Sounds interesting though.
Will keep reading the posts on this one.
Thanks Ken.

jhalcott
07-19-2006, 11:41 PM
I've used teflon tape on 45-70 slugs, sized .454 /.455 and wrapped with 2 layers of teflon. Accuracy was fine.Velocity was higher than with other lubes.leading was near nonexistant. I can't remember why I stopped using it ,probably the arthritis and carpal tunnel problems

PatMarlin
07-20-2006, 02:02 AM
Do a search on Telfon, and you'll find lots of opinions.. :drinks:

KirbyAUS
07-20-2006, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the interest and replies fellas.

I'll search as Pat suggests.

Masking tape is masking tape Down Under too - :)

Kirby.

Cliff
07-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Hi, yes the teflon type tapes have been used with varying results. It is rather thin and hard to make uniform, but does do a decent job, or so the reports say. It was discussed from time to time in the CBA's "Fouling Shot". As for other tapes, one fella uses 3M brand tape used for wrapping up stuff for a freezer. Claims it works better than masking tape, being stronger and has a more adhesive quality. He wraps the bullet once or twice depending on his goals, commented the tape has to be even with base, no over hang. Lets them set up for a week or two, the tape stays on the bullets as they go down range. Almost impossible to get off once it sets. Actually sounds pretty good route to try. Good Luck.

KYCaster
07-21-2006, 01:33 AM
Back in the dark ages, when I was a young plumber, when men were real men and hardware stores were real hardware stores, when you asked for "plumbers tape" you got a roll of steel strap 3/4in. wide with holes punched every 1/2in.. Used for hanging pipe from the ceiling. Ask for hanger strap and you got a metal semicircle with feet bent out and with holes punched. (had to specify size)
Its getting harder to keep up with the changing language.

Jerry

P.S. Don't even think about asking for hardware cloth or chicken wire.