PDA

View Full Version : Bevel base vs flat base

Evil Dog
04-20-2010, 12:08 AM
For 148gr 38 cal wadcutters do the bevel base or flat base versions work better? I cast my own bullets from straight wheelweight so the hollow base version is pretty much out of the question... haven't found the mold. The bevel base should be slightly easier to get started in the case but that's the only real advantage that I can think of right offhand. Thinking possibly the flat base version might give somewhat smaller groups.

gon2shoot
04-20-2010, 12:25 AM
I prefer the flat base (because I'm old) and know all the reasons why bevel base boolits are inferior.

That said, I have some bevel base molds that shoot as well as anything I have ever cast. Buy what you like and see how it works for you.

That'll Do
04-20-2010, 06:42 AM
I see no advantage to bevel-based boolits, and for me, they can be a royal pain in the butt to lube, because the lubrisizer leaves a ring of lube around the bevel.

I've noticed no difference accuracy-wise as well.

Bret4207
04-20-2010, 07:22 AM
I theory both should work equally well or poorly. In practice the FB has worked better for me in my guns. Others use BB with much success. I'd suggest keeping an open mind and giving both a try, unless one appeals to you for some reason. Then really wring that one out and see what works for you.