PDA

View Full Version : MY NEW 410 slugs are mighty fun!!!!

shadowjames
04-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I CAME UP WITH AN IDEA HALF A YEAR AGO TO LOOK AT MANUFACTURES SLUG SIZES IN 410 SHOTGUN AND NOTICED THEY VARIED AND SOMEONE TOLD ME TO MEASSURE THE END OF MY BORE TO GET A GOOD IDEA, WELL IT WAS JUST SMALL OF .380 AND I LOOKED FOR SOMETHING I COULD CAST AND GIVE IT A WHACK, SO I GOT IT IN MY HEAD TO TRY A 36 CAP AND BALL CONICAL WHICH SIZED IS .375 UNSIZED MAYBE ALIL HEAVY? WELL I TOOK 5 OUT THE OTHER DAY AND WAS REALLY IMPRESSED............:holysheep

I SHOT A GALLON JUG(JUICE) THAT WE FROZE TO TRY TO CAPTURE AND AT 40 FEET WENT CLEAR THRU FIRST SHOT, THEN LEAVING ON SIDE SHOT THE BOTTOM AND RECOVERED NEAR 1 SLUG NEAR TOP, AT 120 FEET HIT A PIZZA BOX, I WAS IMPRESSED NO SCOPE, NOTHING BUT SINGLE BEAD UP FRONT.

LOADED WITH MEC BUSHING 10 OF LIL GUN IN VARIOUS HULLS WIN 209 PRIMER, AND CLAYBUSTER WADS, NOW I WAS ABLE TO SEAT SLUG IN BETWEEN UNCLIPPED PETAL ON WAD AND CRIMP W/O ADDITIONAL CARD, BUT I PUT A BLACK LINE ON RAMMER SO I DIDNT PUSH ALL THE WAY DOWN AND WAS ABLE TO CRIMP TIGHT AND NO MOVEMENT ON THE SLUG,,,,

NOW SHOULD I HAVE PUT A FILLER IN TO GET MORE ACCURRACY?????? ANY OTHER IDEAS,,,,,I'M JUST EXCITED IT WORKED AND FAIRLEY ACCURATE NOW I CAN LOAD 410 SLUGS FOR PENNIE:holysheep

Harmon_Greer
04-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Are theystable out of smooth bore?

waksupi
04-20-2010, 11:25 AM
James, please don't use all caps. It is considered shouting.

turbo1889
04-20-2010, 06:18 PM
Ok, do I understand you correctly that you are using a regular plastic 410-shot wad and just smashing/crumpling the wad-petals to fill the empty space under the slug?

If so, that is very interesting and something I had not even ever considered trying; please explain further - pictures would be really nice.

shadowjames
04-20-2010, 10:48 PM
no the petals didnt get crushed it is just small enough to slide in and still be wide enough to not move up and down in the shell,,,, will try pics soon, thanks

Harmon_Greer
04-22-2010, 07:16 PM
what does a paper target look like shot at 25 yds?

Harmon_Greer
04-22-2010, 07:23 PM
http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14643-c14-g8-b0-p0-.40_Cal_155gr_HBRN_DS.aspx

hollow based 40 caliber pistol bullets, i know they arent cast, but they may be a cheap bullet to test for cylinder bore 410 slug shooting.

155 grains and hollow base.

Im working over an old bolt action 410 for slug shooting, this and the 3" BPI multi hull with 296 or lil gun under a 410 wad filled with shot buffer and then the hollow based bullet finished by a roll crimp..

I am a bit of a ways away from doing this, just brainstorming now.

shadowjames
04-30-2010, 11:52 PM
no i wouldnt use 40 cal to big for all standard 410's i sluged mine with the 375 cast and it stopped about 2 inches from muzzle so its basically perfect, i did check the petals on the loading process and they can get crushed but i remedied by using a 223 brass to push the wad in just flush with top of uncrimper shell, then loaded the slug, the 223 just kept the wad from slightly overlapping and hence getting in the way, waiting on good weather to crono and get paper samples

fredw1324
05-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Guys,
this is a question I posed to one of our memebers ...what do you think?

"i have followed your posting of your DR build using a shotgun frame. I too intend to build one, but going to take a slightly different track. I want to turn 54 caliber rifled barrels and shoot 28 gauge brass slugs. If i mold the slugs I can make them .538 even though the gauge is .550. The question I have is do you think I should relieve the barrels like the forcing cones in a normal shotgun? I don't want to exceed the usual pressures that shotguns have.
Thanks,"
I have not found any 28ga slug ideas, but using this approach using 28ga brass cartridges seems doable plus have rifled bores as well...Thoughts?