PDA

View Full Version : what to do with a plastic stock?

lylejb
04-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Recently, I got my son his first rifle, a Rossi single shot 22 / 410 combo set.

All's well with the 22, but with the 410 shotgun the recoil is too much for him.

I owned a 410 as my first shotgun when I was a kid, and don't remember much of any recoil, but his sure has it!! I was quite suprised.

We were shooting his 410 with Rem STS 2 1/2" target loads. I brought along my Browning 12ga, and was shooting with Rem "gun club" cheepo trap loads. His 410 kicked very nearly as hard as my 12ga, and was a sharper jolt.

About 6 rounds and he was done. He didn't want to shoot it anymore. My wife also fired it ( the 410) and 2 rounds was enough for her.

If this was a wood stock, I would shorten it and add a recoil pad.

This has a black plastic stock, Is there any way to the same with plastic?

While I'm sure there's somebody out there who could make a custom stock for this ( or for that matter, most any gun) that would probably cost more than the gun did.:groner:

I need to keep the length the same or less, he's just big enough for it as is, so the easy answer of just adding a pad is out.

Any suggestions?

pietro
04-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I think the first ting I'd do would be to get the BP off and fill the hollow butt with either lead shot, or a mixture of spray foam & shot.

Hollow/plastic buttstocks can be shortened, and a pad installed - but it ain't pretty, since epoxies generally won't adhere to the plastic.

I've cut a stock to the appropriate length, then cut a section out of a 3/4" thick solid wood board to fit flush within the shortened butt.
I secured it with a screw or three, then installed a recoil pad in the normal manner, attaching it to the wood insert by it's issue screws.

RobS
04-20-2010, 12:11 AM
I've done the spray foam and filled the hollow void in a stock. Then I drilled out the middle of the foam and added shot until I had what I wanted for weight. Packed the rest of the hole with blue paper shop rags all the way up to the butt plate so the shot won't move. Helped add weight and reduce recoil.

deltaenterprizes
04-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Great ideas using foam. I have seen molds made from 3/4'' thick plywood to cast lead to put inside AR-15 stocks to add weight.
Add a little at a time until the little guy can heft it comfortably let him try it and see if he is happy with it.
How tall is he and how much does the little guy weigh?