PDA

View Full Version : Shortening in a smokeless lube?

Elkins45
04-19-2010, 08:29 PM
I was smelting some WW's and got the idea of using some vegetable shortening for flux instead of the paraffin I usually use on really dirty metal. To my surprise it refused to spontaneously ignite like the smoke cloud often does. Instead it liquified and made sounds like french fries frying. It stayed as a liquid floating on top of the pot much longer than any petroleum-based flux I've ever used. In fact I found myself wishing it would burn off a little faster so I could start ladling the melt.

This got me to thinking...if it is that resistant to burn off then how might it perform as a component in a boolit lube? I know its used in BP lubes all the time, but does anyone have any experience with Crisco or other shortenings in HV smokeless loads?

TIA for any input.

DragoonDrake
04-19-2010, 09:10 PM
I have used Crisco in a lube. Equal parts Crisco, Beeswax, and Paraffin; it has not been pushed above 1300fps though. Smells a little funny when you shoot it. I don't know how fast you were looking for.

Oh it has been used in 357mag, 44mag, 45colt, and 454. Sorry not used with the 30cals yet.

Adam

Lead Fred
04-19-2010, 10:15 PM
I use lard with bees wax and veggie oil and Im getting 1700fps

gon2shoot
04-20-2010, 12:31 AM
I prefer not to use any petroleum products casting, smelting or cleaning.

PM me about peanut butter lube lol