View Full Version : Burned Mould

Dan Cash
04-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Last December a Lee group buy mould which I purchased to feed my Snyder Enfield got tossed in the trash and burned. It lay covered by snow drifts until today when I was cleaning up from winter and found it. The blocks look OK from the outside but the remnants of the handles, hollow base plug and sprue plate are rusted and frozen for eternity. Would Lee even look at repairing the mould on my dime? I have about $90.00 and a year wait in this thing and never used it.

>>>Lee overhauled my mould for 10 bucks. I finally got to cast some with it and it makes good mouldings but the bullet is not worth a squat; NO Grease Grooves. That is not on Lee but the designer in the group buy (different forum).

Thanks for all the advice and thanks to Swamp who trimmed and sized some brass for me and sent me a box full of dandy bullets. Great folks here.

Dan.<<<<

hiram
04-19-2010, 07:53 PM
You could try 1 of two things or both----penetrating liquid = half acetone and half auto trans fluid. And / or EvapoRust

http://www.evaporust.com/

swamp
04-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your mould. I would call and ask. At worse they could say no. Never hurts to ask.

What boolit was it? I have some I cast for my snider that are 450 gr + or _ and cast at 488-489. If you can use them I would be happy to send you some to tide you over.

Bernie Rowles at Old West Bullet Moulds made mine. this is pic.

swamp

Shiloh
04-19-2010, 08:06 PM
What Hiram said. You have nothing to lose.

Shiloh

Dan Cash
04-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks for your kind offer swamp. This mould was supposed to drop at .595 in a hollow base wadcutter looking thing about .65 or .70 inch long. I never used it as I have not gotten around to getting any brass for the old wonder.

Hiram and Shiloh, Un freezing the steel parts is not the question as they are pitted beyond redemption. They will have to be replaced. I did not want to wait for Lee to open in the morning to find out if they would even look at the mould. I was livid when I found them laying in the burn pit and am only now calming down.

Bkid
04-19-2010, 08:44 PM
They should help you out,nice people over there. I deal with Bill , great guy, and he will bend over backwars to help.