PDA

View Full Version : Lidu BP is it any good/comments

ruger4570
05-05-2005, 10:00 AM
My brother is a Civil War re inactor and picked up a supply of a black powder called LIDU. This stuff is made in China (by the guys that invented it). He bought a large quantity of it at very inexpensive prices. I wondered if anyone has used it and what they think of it. I use GOEX as it is the most easily obtained here. This stuff may be what they sweep off the floor at the firecracker factory for all I know. If anyone has experience I would appreciate any input, if it is good, I may releive him of some,,, thanks in advance

wills
05-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Where did he get it, how much was it? Seems to need nivestigation.

shooter575
05-05-2005, 12:48 PM
I saw somthing on that Chit com Bp on some other boards. Concensus was it is dirtyer.Maybe sifting would help? I would guess that it is more suted for fireworks.I buy 25lb of goex at a time so I didnt pay much attention

ruger4570
05-05-2005, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the replies.. I too never heard of it,, what I have is fffg.I don't know the price but I heard it was pretty darn cheap (that in itself has to tell you something) I will ask him what it cost. I do know they bought quite a bit of it so they probably got a good discount. I know his group ofCivil War shooters use a lot of powder at one of the events. I think they use it in their cannons too. I guess over pressure is not a problem as they shoot blanks so to speak.

West Creek
05-26-2005, 11:02 AM
I have bought a few hundred pounds of Lidu and havent noticed any problems with it. Of course I havent tested it either so to speek. I use it for blanks and shotgun loads. A freind of mine uses it in a 44-40 with good results. Another freind of mine and his cohorts use it for muzzle loader shooting with good results at 25 and 50 yards.

As far as its potency - I'd say it is not up there with swiss. My muzzle loader freind has a couple pounds of OLD powder that has considerable more oomph than the lidu but he hasnt noticed any difference between it and goex and he shoots 2-4 pounds a month.

It works fine in my shotgun loads. I dont shoot enough to make a comparison on how dirty the fowling is. My buddy who uses it in 44-40 was impressed with the granulation - clean and no dust.

I buy it by the case for less than $200 shipped from a supplier in southern Indiana.

45 2.1
05-26-2005, 11:39 AM
I have bought a few hundred pounds of Lidu and havent noticed any problems with it. I buy it by the case for less than $200 shipped from a supplier in southern Indiana.

Could you give the suppliers name and address?

wills
05-26-2005, 12:41 PM
this is no help, but interesting

http://www.estcal.com/PowerPoints/Security/blackpowder.ppt

StarMetal
05-26-2005, 01:35 PM
I just got off the phone with a major black powder distributor and we talked about the Lidu and others. He said that the Lidu came into the country sort of illegal, that is, it was listed as a different item powder wise then what came in. He said that is why it was cheap. He said there are only pockets of it here and there. Anyways he confirmed it burns dirty and is inconsistant in velocities. Then we talked about the KIK black powder. This stuff is from one of the Slovak countries and he said is good powder very comparable to the Swiss powder. His prices on it are $7.25 a pound compared to the Swisse's $15.75 a pound in 25 lb orders. So the Lidu doesn't sound like a powder that will be readily availiable on the retail shelf.

Joe

wills
05-26-2005, 01:44 PM
powderinc. lists KIK 25 or 50 lb. lot: $7.85. I dont know anyone who shoots it.

shooter575
05-26-2005, 10:15 PM
I just picked up my supply of Goex for the year in Va. $210 per 25lb case or in 5lb bags for 48.00. Dont seem like it was that long ago it was $90 and musket caps were 8 bucks a thou. I wants it,I pay it!