PDA

View Full Version : Necessary to flare neck with GC's ?

vonfilm
04-19-2010, 05:15 PM
When seating gas checked cast boolits is it necessary to flare the case neck?

felix
04-19-2010, 05:21 PM
In general, yes. If you have a straight-line BR seater, and cut the cases creating a one-time leade, then no. ... felix

Maven
04-19-2010, 08:54 PM
Also, some of the Lee Precision collet dies allow you to seat GC'ed bullets without flaring the case neck. On those that don't, the collet can be modified so that cartridge mouth to the depth of a GC is left unsized.

largom
04-20-2010, 11:53 PM
In general, yes. If you have a straight-line BR seater, and cut the cases creating a one-time leade, then no. ... felix

I do not flare any bottle-neck cases. I use a K&M inside champfering reamer or a Lyman VLD inside deburing tool to cut the leade as Felix mentioned. I also use bushing neck sizing dies so as not to oversize the necks.

Larry

vonfilm
04-21-2010, 11:08 AM
I have the Lyman VLD deburring tool. Any suggestions on how to best use this with GC boolits? Should I use it with a little force to slightly flare the case?

Also another thread suggested flaring with a smaller caliber bottle necked cartridge tapped into the neck of a larger one. Any further thoughts on this.

largom
04-22-2010, 10:04 AM
I have the Lyman VLD deburring tool. Any suggestions on how to best use this with GC boolits? Should I use it with a little force to slightly flare the case?

Also another thread suggested flaring with a smaller caliber bottle necked cartridge tapped into the neck of a larger one. Any further thoughts on this.

The Lyman VLD tool does not flare a case it CUTS a long leade on the inside of the case mouth. You do have to apply some pressure, practice on junk cases. I try to cut the leade 1/16 to 3/32 in. long. If you go too far the edge of the case mouth will become very thin and sharp. The K&M tool has a stop built in so you can adjust the depth of cut.

Larry