PDA

View Full Version : Finnish triggers worse than nagants?

sheepdog
04-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Is it my imagination or is this squishy two stage they put in these things worst that a standard nagant?

RugerFan
04-19-2010, 03:55 PM
My M39 trigger is noticeably lighter/smoother than my 91/30 trigger. That is only one example, but my understanding is Finn MN triggers are usually better than the Russian variety.

Maven
04-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Not on the 3 Finn. Nagants that I've owned (2 M 28/30's; 1 M 39; all Sako's).

sheepdog
04-19-2010, 09:21 PM
My M39 trigger is noticeably lighter/smoother than my 91/30 trigger. That is only one example, but my understanding is Finn MN triggers are usually better than the Russian variety.

Well on my russian I polished up the seer spring, shimmed the spring mount, and bent the spring to take the slack out. Its nice and short. On the Finnish I haven't done that as the two pins make it kinda a bitch but I want to but not really sure how the finnish will handle it. I'd like the two stage to be there still but very short pull and light but smooth.

WineMan
04-20-2010, 09:22 PM
The one on my M39 is light but unpredictable. One time a nice two stage and then next time a surprise as you begin the take up. I need to take it apart and figure our what is going on. I do notice that when closing the bolt there is a bit of a "hitch in the gidyup" and the striker moves slightly. This does not happen on a M91/30 or a M38 carbine.

Too many other projects at this time it will have to wait for summer.

Wineman

Beekeeper
04-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Sheepdog,
Would post pics or drawings of what you did to the 91/30 triggers! Please!!
I have several and a couple have the most absmal trigger I have ever seen.
Would love to get them right.

Jim

MtGun44
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM
I have several Mosins and one M39. The M39 is light years better than the Mosins.

dualsport
04-23-2010, 02:14 AM
I have 3 91/30s, I just love a bargain. Two that are refurbs have looong creeepy rough triggers. The older original (all are from Ishesvsk [sp?]) has a nice clean light two stage trigger. I have to make a mental adjustment when switching guns. I can not see any difference between them, but it's there. If I figure out why the old one is nice I could duplicate the conditions on the creepy ones. Maybe I just answered my own question...old? +well used=polished? There it is, polish the parts!

JSH
04-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Hmmmmmmmm, only have an M39 and that is why I bought it was the trigger. From my readings the Finn's were way ahead of most in this time period.
FYI my M39 just a smidge of 1 stage, then it breaks. As to my knowledge this one has not been fooled with. Guy bought it cleaned the cosmoline, shot it and then sold it.
jeff

milsurp mike
04-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Finn triggers are much better than Russian triggers.Alot of people switch the Finnish triggers with Russian triggers before they sell there Finnish Mosin Nagant Rifles so You may not have a Finnish trigger..The Finns didnt build any receivers they just made the russian Rifles better by adding heavy barrels and Better sights and triggers.Some of the Finnish Captured 91-30's during Wartime didnt get anything and put were placed back in Service.But as a rule the m39's m28's ect have better triggers.Mike

nicholst55
04-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Sheepdog,
Would post pics or drawings of what you did to the 91/30 triggers! Please!!
I have several and a couple have the most absmal trigger I have ever seen.
Would love to get them right.

Jim

Jim, do a Google search for 'Mosin trigger job.' You'll get dozens of worthwhile hits - all the way from mild to wild; here a couple at random:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIoby-NO5HA

http://bananafufu.blogspot.com/2007/06/trigger-job-for-your-mosin-nagant-9130.html

http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/mosin-nagant/51810-poor-boy-mosin-nagant-trigger-job.html

http://www.gswagner.com/mosin-nagant/trigger/mntrigger.html

Ed Barrett
04-29-2010, 04:06 AM
I have a Finn model 27 and 4 russian M-N's the Finn trigger is the best by far. I have shot a few other Finns and they all had excellent triggers.

Freebore
04-30-2010, 10:48 PM
The Finn trigger pull is much nicer with my M39's than it is with standard 91-30's etc.