PDA

View Full Version : stevens #7 premier reline

jon skorepa
04-19-2010, 11:15 AM
has any one relined a32 rf to 32h&r central fire? pls advise how to go about this project. i will shoot blk or substitute blk. want to use the old lady for a rabbit shooting. thank you for any assistance. jon

John Taylor
04-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Just got done with a #4 Remington in 32S&W using a liner. Stay with the S&W, the H&R will be to much pressure on most of the rimfire actions. Even if you are going to use BP, there will be a day that someone ells has the rifle and if it is chamber for the H&R it will get factory ammo. The liner I used is sold as a 32-20 from T.J.'s 859-635-5570. I ream the bore to .002 over the liner diameter and install with high strength Loctite. Moving the firing pin can be a bit of work. I start off by filling the old firing pin hole with steel, sometime threading it to the breach or solder it in. Then drill a new hole for a new firing pin using a milling machine to make sure everything is going where I want it. Firing pins are made from pre hardened spring stock which can be machined in the lathe with carbide. I use this metal because It does not need any heat treat when done.
If you use the 32 S&W short it make no more noise than a 22 short and is lots of fun to shoot.

Bret4207
04-20-2010, 07:45 AM
You present barrel may be okay. If it's in good shape slug it and see what it measures. I've worked over a Remington #4 and 6 and the #6 had a .309 barrel that worked fine. The #4 was .312+ and ratty. Needs a liner, barrel actually.

And as John says, stick with the 32 S+W or S+W Long. Plenty of small game power from both and much better in the long run.

pietro
04-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Yup, the H&R is WAAAY too strong for these old actions.

Actually, I'm shooting commercially available Winchester .32 Short Colt CF in my #4 roller .32, after only converting the FP from RF to CF.

It shoots just fine - even with it's sewer pipe bore.