PDA

View Full Version : First Lyman and it's going back

lavenatti
04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Well, I broke down and ordered a Lyman mold (266673) since I have four swedes to feed. I have always bought Lee molds prior to this and while I have always considered their quality mediocre at best at least with a little work I could get usable boolits.
I'm not going to work on a mold I consider expensive enough that it should have been perfect when I got it. One cavity drops nice .266 bullets, the other cavity drops them .264 x .261 and doesn't seem to line up perfectly, the seams are lousy and you can see a really slight misalignment when the mold is closed.
My 30 days from Midsouth are almost up so I'll give them a call for a return authorization tomorrow. My question is - are Lyman molds worth buying? This is the first one I've ever bought so if this is the quality I can expect I'd just as soon return the handles as well and buy from someone around here, since I've (ahem) been to BABores website 30 or 40 times this weekend to drool over his selection.

04-18-2010, 03:39 PM
All my Lyman moulds have been previously used or were bought as used but showed no signs of being used, so I can't speak of their current production. Other than a couple of them requiring pin re-alignment, I've never had a problem. You may want to call Lyman directly.

plumber
04-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Personally, I am done with Lyman until. I have purchaced 8 molds over the last 2 years and every single one had to go back.

captain-03
04-18-2010, 05:49 PM
The last two Lyman I purchased both dropped way to small!! Lee moulds are a pain; but they seem to drop at least the advertised size or larger ... I can deal with a larger boolit but a smaller one is useless to me .....

montana_charlie
04-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Try casting with the Lyman while using #2 alloy. See if it meets specs.
That is the alloy Lyman uses as their 'standard' for all of their casting tools...with the possible exception of moulds meant for pure lead muzzle loader stuff.
CM

brettb75
04-19-2010, 01:19 AM
From my own experience new lyman molds are pretty much garbage, i will never buy another one. I have a new 429421 that drops bullets at .4275 with ww and .4285 with lino, so i will not waste my money again. And that is the replacement mold they sent, the first one did the same. I would check out mountain molds for semi custom molds.

stubshaft
04-19-2010, 06:08 AM
I will only buy used Lymans manufactured BEFORE 1995.

lavenatti
04-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Called Midsouth and it's going back. I'm returning the handles too, based on the comments I got here, who needs expensive poorly made molds.

Already mailed a check out to BABore for a 4 cavity 6.5mm Kurtz, ordered one of those 311440 IMP molds in 4 cavity as well.

captain-03
04-21-2010, 09:57 PM
I just do not understand Lyman's business model ... don't they do anything with the feedback they receive -or- is it that they do not care? Either way, they loss customers and potential sales ....

anachronism
04-21-2010, 10:01 PM
I'll always feel that the best production moulds made were marked "Ideal".

Tazman1602
04-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Well, I broke down and ordered a Lyman mold (266673) since I have four swedes to feed. I have always bought Lee molds prior to this and while I have always considered their quality mediocre at best at least with a little work I could get usable boolits.
I'm not going to work on a mold I consider expensive enough that it should have been perfect when I got it. One cavity drops nice .266 bullets, the other cavity drops them .264 x .261 and doesn't seem to line up perfectly, the seams are lousy and you can see a really slight misalignment when the mold is closed.
My 30 days from Midsouth are almost up so I'll give them a call for a return authorization tomorrow. My question is - are Lyman molds worth buying? This is the first one I've ever bought so if this is the quality I can expect I'd just as soon return the handles as well and buy from someone around here, since I've (ahem) been to BABores website 30 or 40 times this weekend to drool over his selection.

Go back to BABore's website -- you CANNOT go wrong buying from this guy. I've got Lyman molds that are fine but they don't even come close to what Bruce produces for you...........

Art

skimmerhead
04-21-2010, 10:17 PM
where can i find this webb site?

skimmerhead

:?:

thenaaks
04-21-2010, 10:40 PM
http://www.brp.castpics.net/default.htm

jmsj
04-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Bought a used Lyman 452460 mold that looked in great shape. After hearing what a great bullet this was I was really excited about making some bullets. Cast some up tonight and it measures .453 with the seam and .447 across the seam, what a let down. Even my Lee molds are more round and not below caliber. I guess I'll try to beagle the mold. With all the complaints,in the future I'll be staying away from Lyman molds. It is a shame that Lyman has let their quality control slip so low. jmsj

madsenshooter
04-25-2010, 11:41 AM
I've got to agree, you can't beat BaBore's molds. I only have one, a small group buy Eagan MX2-243 2-cavity that Bruce cut with my cherry. I took the prototype, even it is a fine piece of work! I don't much like aluminum, but when it's done as nice as Bruce does it, I can live with it. I especially like the top venting and the very smooth swing of the sprue plate that it allows.