PDA

View Full Version : Bean Can 300 Yard 7.65x53

StarMetal
04-18-2010, 02:14 PM
Well more controversy from me. When I do something like this I get lots of flak.

Was out today with the Braziltine 7.65x53 Argentine. Shooting the Lyman 314299 sized to .313. Loaded over 34 grains of 7828 with shot buffer. Alloy is 50/50 water dropped with my aluminum gas check and my soap lube. I was shooting at a large size can of some sort or prepared beans and they are just terrible and the can set in the pantry for ages. Well the son wanted me to shoot it. I decided to shoot it from 300 yards with the mentioned rifle. The rifle is sighted about 2 inches high at 100 yards. The first picture up is the target setup. Big white cardboard with a 4x4 oak post against it upon which the can sets. The blue square is my aiming reference which is exactly 12 inches above the bottom of the can. Next picture is the can and you can see the hole dead center bottom right above the seam. I took a guess at the blue tape aiming reference. The bullet didn't nearly have the remaining velocity of the 6.5 Swede shot at the water filled milk jug at 300 yards. It merely put a hole through the can and split the bottom seem some. I even recovered the bullet! There's picture of it.
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/TargetSetup.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/Can.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/starmetal47/765bullet.jpg

Dutchman
04-18-2010, 06:56 PM
http://images110.fotki.com/v560/photos/4/28344/7940990/flak-vi.jpg

Thumbcocker
04-18-2010, 07:01 PM
That is some serious FLACK.

OBXPilgrim
04-18-2010, 07:14 PM
It appears Dutchman has provided you with plenty of flak.

StarMetal
04-18-2010, 07:45 PM
http://images110.fotki.com/v560/photos/4/28344/7940990/flak-vi.jpg

Dutch, I'm laughing my butt off. Thanks for a good laugh, that's funny indeed. [smilie=l:[smilie=l:

longbow
04-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Joe, you sure do like to stir the pot (of beans that is)!

Out of curiosity, have you tried your buffered loads without a cas check for gas check boolits or even under PB boolits?

I was shooting some fillered loads under the NOE 316299 without gas check and the gas check shank reformed a bit looking almost like a boattail.

I didn't shoot enough to do any real accuracy testing but they seemed to shoot as well as I can hold with stock Lee Enfield sights. I got to get scope!

Longbow

bkbville
04-18-2010, 08:31 PM
Joe,

Although I don't give a can of beans for this sort of marksmenship display you can have the asparagus that's sitting in my cabinet for a couple of years now.

StarMetal
04-18-2010, 09:21 PM
Wow! Quite the humorous thread. Keep em coming guys.

Longbow I never tried what you said, but I will give it a try for sure.

04-18-2010, 10:10 PM
StarMetal,
Reckon you can shoot worth beans.

longbow
04-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Joe:

I guess I didn't give you much to go on there so let me elaborate.

I have been loading .303 British with relatively light loads of IMR4227 (19 grs. currently) under COW filler (yes, I know I have to get some shotgun buffer and will when I get a chance) with a barefoot 316299. The alloy is ACWW.

I have tried out some heavier loads using IMR4198, IMR4064 and IMR4320 as well but have not done enough shooting to say much other than they shoot clean and seem to shoot as well as gas check loads without filler.

The reason for the question is that I recently recovered a bullet that went through a lot of snow, bounced off some frozen sand and came to rest on top of the snow just in front of the 100 yard berm. The boolit was in very good shape but the gas check shank had compressed some and swole out a bit making it look much like a boattail.

I guess if the distortion is even and consistent then it shouldn't hurt accuracy but I had not expected this. I figured the COW would give more like a hydraulic squeeze evenly around the gas check shank instead of kicking it in the butt so much.

If you are interested I can post a photo of it.

With a plain base boolit this wouldn't be an issue of course.

I was hoping to get more shooting done to sort this out but I have had to practice for a couple of upcoming archery shoots so the rifle shooting will have to wait another couple of weeks.

Anyway, I was just curious if you had tried it and what sort of results you got. I am sure with the accurate shooting you can do that if there was any less accuracy without a gas check you would find out right quick.

If you do try barefoot with filler I would certainly appreciate it if you posted results good or bad.

Thanks,
Longbow

357maximum
04-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Most folks would have just used a can opener Joe.:kidding:

StarMetal
04-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Longbow I certainly will keep you informed when I do that. I have to wonder if the COW, being harder then shot buffer (just my opinion) actually done that to the base with the help of the pressure.

StarMetal
04-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Most folks would have just used a can opener Joe.:kidding:

Mike,

We had bought a couple cans of that beans mix with spices. Son made it and said it was horrible. I tasted it and it wasn't fit for human consumption. Normally I'm not one to waste food. This last can set around a mighty long time. My son set it on the counter last week with the label you see and the bullseye. Of course I couldn't use that bullseyes as the scope on that Braziltine is just a cheap Tasco 3x9 32mm, not even the World Class grade. The real can opener would have been my 6.5 Swede.

357maximum
04-18-2010, 11:28 PM
I would have forgone the cast on that one:twisted: as my 7x57AI with 120 grain Hornady SSP's @ approx 3300 FPS would have dissapeared that can. That old Bullet was designed for 2200FPS in the TCU/waters and I am over stepping on it on/for a purpose. I made a woodchuck into a red mist with it the other day. :twisted: I sure messed up my 8inch gong with that load at 1/4 mile though. DOH:violin:

StarMetal
04-18-2010, 11:48 PM
I would have forgone the cast on that one:twisted: as my 7x57AI with 120 grain Hornady SSP's @ approx 3300 FPS would have dissapeared that can. That old Bullet was designed for 2200FPS in the TCU/waters and I am over stepping on it on/for a purpose. I made a woodchuck into a red mist with it the other day. :twisted: I sure messed up my 8inch gong with that load at 1/4 mile though. DOH:violin:

More a feat with the Braziltine and a cast bullet. [smilie=1:

357maximum
04-18-2010, 11:59 PM
More a feat with the Braziltine and a cast bullet. [smilie=1:

No argument here...but such a target comes along so rarely.........I firmly believe temptation would have overruled.

StarMetal
04-19-2010, 12:18 AM
No argument here...but such a target comes along so rarely.........I firmly believe temptation would have overruled.

I found a gallon of paint at a informal target range I use to visit when I lived in OK. No label, didn't know the color and it felt full. Shot it with my 7mm Rem Mag. I was black!!!!!!! found the can and it was a rectangular sheet of metal. Very impressive. When I had a 243 I felt that the 75 gr hollow points misted a groundhog pretty well.

mike in co
04-19-2010, 01:32 AM
sir, you are suppose to open a can at the top.....

mike in co

Hardcast416taylor
04-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Just put the unopened can on the edge of a campfire for about 10 minutes or so - it`ll open itself!Robert

dualsport
04-20-2010, 01:46 PM
7.65x53 accuracy story, close enough? Hope so, though this one is about Sierra MKs and silhouettes. Shot my 1891 Arg. in a mil sil match last Saturday. (Open class, 10X Bushnell). Got 2nd place with my new (by far) personal best of 35/40. The five misses were my fault, not the gun or cartidge. The old Mauser cartridge was and is a winner. Ran the pigs, which makes sense because it is a pig killin' sob. I'd shoot it as issued but the former owner took the sights and mounted a Redfield one piece base.

sheepdog
04-20-2010, 01:49 PM
The 6.5 has a far far better ballistic coefficient. Its probably that rather than grain difference, bullet profile, etc thats effecting the drop difference.

frankenfab
04-20-2010, 08:43 PM
You almost missed!:kidding:

StarMetal
04-21-2010, 12:13 AM
7.65x53 accuracy story, close enough? Hope so, though this one is about Sierra MKs and silhouettes. Shot my 1891 Arg. in a mil sil match last Saturday. (Open class, 10X Bushnell). Got 2nd place with my new (by far) personal best of 35/40. The five misses were my fault, not the gun or cartidge. The old Mauser cartridge was and is a winner. Ran the pigs, which makes sense because it is a pig killin' sob. I'd shoot it as issued but the former owner took the sights and mounted a Redfield one piece base.

In reality that old Mauser cartridge is a match for the 308, so is the Russian 7.62x54R. It's the first military rifle I bought. I use to hunt groundhogs with that first cavalry carbine with the iron sights.

303Guy
04-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Joe, that's just plain good shootin! (We both 'know' someone that would say, "you're full of beans!" :mrgreen:)

The 7.62 Russian is a match for the 30-06! It's the longest serving military cartridge of all time isn't it?

Joe, I have become very interested in 'buffered' loading technique's. Your bean can has fired my interest even further, not to mention your 6.5 Swede exploits!:drinks: