PDA

View Full Version : Shipping powder?????

abunaitoo
07-18-2006, 01:42 AM
Living in hawaii is nice, but price for powder(IMR4895-$175.00 for #8) is almost as bad as gas($3.40gal)!!!!!!
Would anyone know if someplace that would ship powder to hawaii at a reasonable price??????
I'm thinking someplace in kalafornia that would just drop it off at the docks without charging for hazmat. Talking #100. I think it's the max you can put on one pallet.

Buckshot
07-18-2006, 01:18 PM
..................I guess that's the price you pay for living in paradise:kidding: You gotta pay the freight! Compared to that the haz mat is beans.

About 12 years ago I dispatched for a smaller 300 truck refrigerated carrier. After awile you get to know most all of'em and those you deal with often you know better. There was an outfit in MD that advertised good powder prices in Presicion Shooting magazine (they've since moved to AZ) .

I called them up and asked the owner if he did "Will Calls" on powder orders and he said sure. I got several shooting buddies together and we ordered 114 lbs of powder when one of the drivers I knew well was on his way to MD. About 6 days later and ZERO shipping or haz mat we had our powder order! The driver said he'd called the company about directions to come pick it up.

When the owner found out he had a 53' reefer and a 3 axle tractor he ran the powder out to him in his pickup and helped load it in the driver's sleeper. Went off slick.

Need to work up some merchant sailers as buddies I guess!

................Buckshot

mazo kid
08-01-2006, 04:44 PM
I recently won an auction for a case of Goex Black Powder at a good price; the guy lives in Wyoming I think it was. Anyway, the whole deal fell through because he couldn't find anyone to ship the powder to me. You have to be a certified HazMat shipper or some such thing. You can't just take it to the Customer Counter at UPS. Doesn't make much sense to me. Emery

Explorer1
08-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Yup, many things require a certified HazMat shipper now days. Its a buch of training to ensure you know the legal requirements to ship hazardous materials, think its now 2-3 days of training.

Once in while you can slide something by a less than knowledgeable counter person but doing so means you have some BIG liability if something goes wrong, including someone who notices it isn't right. That means big $$ and/or time in the grey bar hotel.

In our present no-risk means of Government at all costs, the little guy has little chance.

Understand the frustration in Hawaii, I spent ~4 years at Pearl. Got VERY upset with a counter person one day when I had to sign for a box of gas checks! Wasn't his fault, but tracking copper washers? They treated 'em just like loaded ammo, a least in the mid '80s.

And the transporation laws.........

powderburnerr
08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Mazo kid send me your certificate and I will pick it up for you and shoot it up ,, save all that freight.......Dean

Buckshot
08-21-2006, 10:59 PM
.............That's my pal Deano. Always standing by to help someone out of a bind. Yessiree Bob.

...............Buckshot

mazo kid
08-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Dean, now that's an offer that is mighty hard to refuse!! Emery

georgeld
08-24-2006, 02:32 AM
Wisc. isn't as far away as Wyo.

Why not make a trip to the BP Match's at Friendship, IN and get all you can haul??

In '03, a friend went there just before coming to CO for an elk hunt and bought, brought me twenty pounds of Elephant for $5/lb. I'm still shooting it!

Haven't found it to be any dirtier than anything else and the cost savings was terrific.

Bet you could buy and sell lead by the ton there too.

I have no idea the dates, so you'll need to check on when the big match's are.