PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 learning process

SciFiJim
04-18-2010, 01:55 AM
I received a Lyman 4500 for Christmas and just recently got a chance to sit down and learn the process.

After installing the correct sizing die and top punch, my first attempts were to put the boolit base into the mouth of the sizing die and lower the handle and top punch to press the boolit into the die. Since the top punch is not self centering, it tended to land off center and cut the nose of the boolit. I ruined about a dozen boolits out of 20 before I backed away to figure out a better way.

After some thought, with the handle up, I placed the nose of the boolit into the top punch and held it there while lowering the handle. I guided the base of the boolit into the sizing die and proceeded to size and lubricate the boolit. This ended the cut noses.

The next problem I found was getting lube on the base of the boolits while sizing. I found that once I pushed the boolit into the die, I needed to not waste any time getting the handle up to get the boolit out. Total time to size and lube the boolit, from handle up to handle down to handle up should be about 3-4 seconds. If I did this the lube (carnuaba red) would not stick to the base of the boolit.

So two things learned.

Fit nose of boolit to top punch and guide by hand into sizing die.

Don't waste time while boolit is in the sizing die. Get it in and get it out.

On another note. I was sizing some of the NOE 454424 boolits. I could size and lube 3-4 boolits per quarter turn of the pressure wrench.

Does anyone know of any tricks I have missed? I am still a newbie at using a lubrisizer and would welcome the information.

Frozone
04-18-2010, 02:50 AM
Since what you're sizing has one lube groove, pull the die and use tape to seal off the bottom holes. You can then not worry about lube on the bottom.