PDA

View Full Version : 357 Mag rifle ammo carrying ideas

Rangerone
07-18-2006, 01:15 AM
Hello to you all,

I'm hoping to find some suggestions from like-minded people here on carrying 357 Magnum ammunition in the field. I enjoy walking through the woods with my Marlin 357 Magnum rifle and I am looking for a way to carry 50 to 100 rounds of ammo on my belt. I have looked at the various pouches from Maxpedition and I see it there are many possibilities there but I am unsure. The M-series pouches, specifically the M4, look promising, especially with the larger (canteen sized) opening for my rather large hands.

I have no reservations about Maxpedition's quality, just adaptability to my purposes. And yes, I am aware of ammo belts with belt loops and drop pouches, but these are unacceptable for my simpler application, which is walking through a field that is target rich with old stumps, tree limbs, etc.

So, any suggestions?

Enjoy life...

Frank46
07-18-2006, 02:43 AM
Maybe you could dig up one of the military surplus M16 20 round ammo pouches?.
Sure would be cheap, you's probably have to use a stich ripper to remove the inserts but that should not be a problem. Frank

Scrounger
07-18-2006, 09:12 AM
MTM makes something they call 'Ammo Wallets' because they are the size and shape of a wallet. They vary a little in size, being made to hold 6, 12, or 18 rounds. The ammo is held securely in place, completely protected and will not rattle. Three or four of these stuck in various pockets hold a lot of ammo. They are my favorite means of carrying rounds for non-range shooting. I suppose you could even vary the ammo types by using different wallets for each.

cherok9878
07-18-2006, 11:05 AM
M14 Mag/Amo pouches have no dividers, would easily hold 100 rounds, easy access for even large hands........larry

Other options given are OK to.

slughammer
07-18-2006, 05:23 PM
One of them shot shell bags that trap shooters and sporting clays shooters use. Not sure how secure you need them to be, gravity holds them in there, try not to turn upside down and they should stay.

I use one for range sessions with the double action wheel guns; mine has a divider for the empties too.

Four Fingers of Death
07-21-2006, 09:18 AM
6 round dump pouches were very popular with law enforcement folks and should be around second hand now that autos are the tool of choice. They are great, unclip and they dump six rounds in your hand ready to load up. Mick.

Rangerone
07-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Thank you all for the advice. I think I will use this pouch...
http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_rollypoly.htm

Looks to fulfill my wants and Maxpedition's quality is quite good.

6pt-sika
07-21-2006, 01:49 PM
MTM makes something they call 'Ammo Wallets' because they are the size and shape of a wallet. They vary a little in size, being made to hold 6, 12, or 18 rounds. .

I've used these things for years for the 44 , 41 and 357 . They are quite handy during deer season .

beagle
07-21-2006, 03:25 PM
When I was walking the creek banks with a .357, I use to use a military web belt with holster and a couple of the old M-14 ammo pouches. GI fatigue shirts allowed one pocket for live rounds and the other for empties. The two M-14 pouches fitted four boxes of .38/357 (two each). A 1 quart canteen completed the ensemble. GI suspenders are required as that's a lot of weight to lug around./beagle

LET-CA
07-24-2006, 01:14 AM
Thank you all for the advice. I think I will use this pouch...
http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_rollypoly.htm

Looks to fulfill my wants and Maxpedition's quality is quite good.

Nice stuff! I've spent the last 30 minutes drooling over all the toys on their site.